Atari VCS

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Atari VCS

Post by AArdvark »

I liked Asteroids. My best friend used to be able to flip the score counter when he worked in a restaurant/bar. I would help him by providing underage beers for us while he pounded fire buttons.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 am No. My point was, millions of people have a fondness for the Commodore 64, and not because of its terrible word processors.

Instead they're all playing crap games that look like ass, like this one:

Waitasec. I was able to play the video at home. That's DK Jr. for the C64? Christ that's beautiful. That has to be the best looking version of the game besides the arcade. God, with the C64 was on, it was on.

(I need to get a working one here at home.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Apparently the us version of the C64 mini is out and the games list looks decent enough:

Started playing around with a C64 emulator and was actually impressed with the graphics and how well the games played, especially since I was a 486 and NES child.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 pmWaitasec. I was able to play the video at home. That's DK Jr. for the C64? Christ that's beautiful. That has to be the best looking version of the game besides the arcade. God, with the C64 was on, it was on.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Did any other home computer system have a demoscene besides the C64? I've never ever seen a demo for anything but the Commodore. I could Google this.... but then where's the content?

THE
APPLY TOPICALLY
AARDVARK

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm Did any other home computer system have a demoscene besides the C64?
Are you serious? :shock:

Every computer ever made has a demoscene. Including the latest PCs with 8-cores and $3000 GPUs and whatnot.

Flack

Post by Flack »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm Did any other home computer system have a demoscene besides the C64? I've never ever seen a demo for anything but the Commodore. I could Google this.... but then where's the content?
When the 16bit machines hit the market, most of the C64 demo makers moved to either the Amiga or the Atari ST. Here are a couple of YouTube playlists with demos from each of those machines. (I love putting these on in the background during the day at work!)

Atari ST: Link
Amiga: Link

It took a few years for PC hardware to catch up, but once it did, DOS demos took off.

DOS: Link

This is one of the most famous (and one of my favorite) demos for the Amiga called State of the Art. There are only a few frames of animation, but with lots of different effects, they made it seem like much more.

Demo makers continue the art form today. With infinite processing power at their fingertips, their only limitation these days is their own creativity.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."