Upcoming RPG called Black Geyser

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Upcoming RPG called Black Geyser

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Some guy posted this on Caltrops out of the blue. It looks a lot like the Baldur's Gate game. I can't believe regular people are making games like this now.

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Upcoming RPG called Black Geyser

Post by Jizaboz »

That looks like it might be pretty good! Did you ever get around to trying the free trial for Shroud of the Avatar?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I did not - I have a poor mental problem when it comes to free trials for games. I get hooked on stuff too quickly and I really want to give ole Shroud there time to get all the bugs fixed.

Is it stable? Are any of us?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

You can buy some pretty good assets on the Unity store these days. So if you have a bit of money and some talent, you can make a game that looks like a AAA title from the past.

(If you lack the talent part, you end up with one of the asset flips that are drowning out other games on Steam.)

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm I did not - I have a poor mental problem when it comes to free trials for games. I get hooked on stuff too quickly and I really want to give ole Shroud there time to get all the bugs fixed.

Is it stable? Are any of us?
So far actually yes! Now I will say that starting out I had a few issues: The HUD map would act up, I would lag like crazy in player-built times loading all their stuff, and the game would take forever to exit when I quit.

HOWEVER.. Once I upgraded my RAM from 8 to 16 GB, it's playing smooth as glass. I haven't had any issues with bugged quests or really any bugs in general. By looking at their forums, it seems that a lot of that was sorted out months before the free trial.
RealNC wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 pm You can buy some pretty good assets on the Unity store these days. So if you have a bit of money and some talent, you can make a game that looks like a AAA title from the past.

(If you lack the talent part, you end up with one of the asset flips that are drowning out other games on Steam.)
The high RAM recommendation (12 GB) for this game is due in a big part because it was built in Unity. Wasteland 2 which was also built in Unity got gripes for it being "too hardware demanding for how the game looks" basically. I'm not one to bitch about such things though.. few dev teams have the time to build a game engine and development tools completely from scratch.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 amThe high RAM recommendation (12 GB) for this game is due in a big part because it was built in Unity. Wasteland 2 which was also built in Unity got gripes for it being "too hardware demanding for how the game looks" basically. I'm not one to bitch about such things though.. few dev teams have the time to build a game engine and development tools completely from scratch.
That is true. Unity is one of the shittiest performing engines. I have nothing against poor graphics, but I can't stand poorly performing graphics. When it comes to performance, Unity is like a stamp of shit on the front cover.

(Supposedly this changed with Unity 5. "Supposedly.")

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Is it me or do all rpgs look like Diablo? I guess they all have the same basic concept.

THE
CLICK HERE
GET GOLD
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:37 pm Is it me or do all rpgs look like Diablo? I guess they all have the same basic concept.

THE
CLICK HERE
GET GOLD
AARDVARK
I never played Diablo, but I watched others play it when it was popular. Black Geyser definitely at least has the same over-head camera look as Diablo.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻