AWS Windows question

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

AWS Windows question

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am curious if the following is possible:

I want to pay AWS for a Windows 10 machine that could be accessible by a couple people. I am in an online baseball league and one of our owners has a Mac. I would like him to be able to remote into this AWS instance and be able to play the game on Windows via this virtual machine.

I guess I would like it if the machine only "existed" or was accessible when it was used. So I wouldn't be paying for it when it wasn't active. I think this can be done if you're a big shot corporate customer. But does anyone know if AWS has options like this for me, the little guy just trying to play a game?

(We had an owner who was in a similar situation a few years ago. I bought him a used Windows laptop and mailed it to him. Then he stopped playing, quitting his team mid-season and didn't bother to tell anyone. I think going virtual in 2017 makes a lot more sense.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: AWS Windows question

Post by pinback »

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Wine?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

At any rate, you can fire up a Win10 instance, and just stop it when you're not using it.

If Wine is not an option. For whatever reason. To play... text baseball. Which I can't understand why you'd need more than a Texas Instruments calculator for, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm not teaching a person who isn't heavy into computers how to use Wine for Chrissake.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Oh, I guess my real question is - do I have to pay $200 for a license for Windows 10 doing this?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Maybe use Crossover. It's based on Wine but packaged up for noobs. There's a free trial.

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/

pinback

Post by pinback »

With license included, it's like $8-10 a month, plus hourly charges: https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing

I think some sort of emulator is going to be cheaper and easier than this. What is the product in question, by the way?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yeah I may be mistaken but I think they only have machine images for Windows Server. If that works for you though (if the program runs on Windows server) you could always just launch an Ec2 instance for it then stop it at any time. Billing is frozen once stopped.

Depends on what this program is you want to run..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Paul Robinson

Post by Paul Robinson »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 am I am curious if the following is possible:

I want to pay AWS for a Windows 10 machine that could be accessible by a couple people. I am in an online baseball league and one of our owners has a Mac. I would like him to be able to remote into this AWS instance and be able to play the game on Windows via this virtual machine.
Go to
https://aws.amazon.com/free/?sc_channel ... 22025300:s

Amazon offers a free Amazon EC2 (Electric Cloud 2) instance with 750 hours per month running Windows Server.
While there is time
Let's go out and feel everything!
- Steve Winwood, The Finer Things

pinback

Post by pinback »

"Electric Cloud 2" is not what EC2 stands for, Paul.

I am curious how Windows Server is going to run on a t2.micro (the free-tier eligible box). I have a guess.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 am I am curious how Windows Server is going to run on a t2.micro (the free-tier eligible box). I have a guess.
Well, on the other hand, how good does it need to run in order to play a baseball-thingy game that isn't exactly Crysis.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 am With license included, it's like $8-10 a month, plus hourly charges: https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing

I think some sort of emulator is going to be cheaper and easier than this. What is the product in question, by the way?
Diamond Mind Baseball.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 am
pinback wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 am I am curious how Windows Server is going to run on a t2.micro (the free-tier eligible box). I have a guess.
Well, on the other hand, how good does it need to run in order to play a baseball-thingy game that isn't exactly Crysis.
Nikos is correct. If it's going to run anything, it will run this. I would not be surprised if Windows (big sigh... why do they have to make everything so goddamn difficult) SERVER can't run it, though. I used to like Microsoft's stuff best but lately it's always just so troublesome and lazy. I'm certain it won't run it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Did you try it and see if it would work on an Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud, I have it correct now) free (as in beer) Windows instance?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

No. I gotta be honest with you all, and this is going to sound cynical and I don't mean for it to sound cynical. I deal with computer problems all day and I gotta do something else at night.

Plus, I realized that I had no shot in my Diamond Mind text baseball winter league, so I drafted for the next season ahead and I'm tanking this current season.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm No. I gotta be honest with you all, and this is going to sound cynical and I don't mean for it to sound cynical. I deal with computer problems all day and I gotta do something else at night.
Oh I know exactly what you mean there. On rough days "in the cloud" for work I barely even want to operate the TV remote much less anything else more complex.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

About the tanking? I am glad that you also agree that it can jump start a rebuild. I lost a bunch of guys to the National League (Yoenis Cespedes, Ben Zobrist) a guy to death (Yordano Ventura) and my left-fielder suddenly got shitty (Alex Gordon). I hit the reset button!