Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

OK, problems as I see them right now:

1. We can't delete private messages
2. Some users have private message notifications up when there were no PMs
3. The "must be logged in to view" - let me talk about that separately

I didn't know that many of you like reading the forum without being logged in. I would like to make it so that only base 2 can be read without logging in for a couple months and then I will set it back. This is for reasons I don't want to get into at the moment but it's to protect all of you. Additionally, I was curious if there was anyone reading the site who never made an account, and "Andy66" may be the only one and he may be a German spammer. I don't know. We can't know, is what I am saying here.

So it's July 22 - by September 22nd we'll make it so most of the site can be read without logging in. Some forums I am going to keep as ones you need to login to read because there is no benefit to exposing some of the bases to the public at large.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:17 am I have had no issue receiving PMs lately, and then angrily replying to and deleting them.
I will send you a PM and my thought is that the software won't let you delete it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

If I am reading a PM, if I click on the X in the upper right hand corner of the message, it deletes the message.

If I am viewing all of my PM's and click on the boxes next to a message's title and try to delete it that way, I get "the submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Here is the problem, and the solution:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2535206
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 am
Casual Observer wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 pm Also, sysops, why does it require me to re-login when i switch from garbage mobile view to desktop?
I really don't know why it's doing that - you are saying that you are clicking on the "Desktop View" on your phone's browser?

I'd say - see if there are some other themes that you might like. Let me know if there are or aren't any. We joke around but I want this to be a good experience for people on a day to day basis.
I've encountered the same behavior mobile --> desktop, but it also randomly logs me out of JC after a few minutes and the behavior itself seems odd and random as in the middle of a post after logging in, it'll ask me to login again after I hit preview, thus losing my post if I don't remember to copy and paste it. I checked all of my settings, tried three different browsers (two of which aren't outfitted with twenty thousand anti-advertising plugins) and the behavior is the same. All that comes to mind, is that the set is setting a very small time limit on the life of cookies and logins. Besides that, absolutely no idea, but it is quite aggravating though I've learned to work around it.

Note: And it just happened right now with this post when I hit submit. Back to the good ol' login page.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 am In your profile you should be allowed to change it to whatever time zone you want.
Yes, I was able to change it to UTC random number and it took, I think I'll just keep it on that one because it doesn't really bother me. I was just having some fun at other people's expense.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am1. We can't delete private messages
I was able to delete them with Flack's method of clicking the x but it is still a pain to do so because you have to go through everything individually twice. The normal way of checking the boxes, selecting delete in the drop down ,and hitting go still does not work.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am2. Some users have private message notifications up when there were no PMs
I still have that problem. I received the test message you sent me today and the red letter went from 2 to 1 after opening it and I was able to delete it with Flack's technique but now my mail box is completely empty of everything everywhere and it is still stating with the red number that I have 1 new message.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am3. The "must be logged in to view" - let me talk about that separately
I actually like this despite being an avid offline JC reader prior to the change.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:15 am I sent you a private message right now to see if that "resets" anything.
It did not reset anything on my end.

Thank you for finally taking this thread seriously.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm seeing the exact same thing as you when it come to private messages - there was some spammer that I approved at some point that sent out some private messages when we upgraded and I deleted their account so I wonder if it "orphaned" private messages and those are still making it seem like we have some. I also wonder if the same thing is happening with registered users that aren't active. I'll see if there's a way to "reset" the count.

(Next time I'll just let the guy sell us canisters of semen if it bothers phpBB3 so much.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 am
Casual Observer wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 pm Also, sysops, why does it require me to re-login when i switch from garbage mobile view to desktop?
I really don't know why it's doing that - you are saying that you are clicking on the "Desktop View" on your phone's browser?

I'd say - see if there are some other themes that you might like. Let me know if there are or aren't any. We joke around but I want this to be a good experience for people on a day to day basis.
I've encountered the same behavior mobile --> desktop, but it also randomly logs me out of JC after a few minutes and the behavior itself seems odd and random as in the middle of a post after logging in, it'll ask me to login again after I hit preview, thus losing my post if I don't remember to copy and paste it. I checked all of my settings, tried three different browsers (two of which aren't outfitted with twenty thousand anti-advertising plugins) and the behavior is the same. All that comes to mind, is that the set is setting a very small time limit on the life of cookies and logins. Besides that, absolutely no idea, but it is quite aggravating though I've learned to work around it.

Note: And it just happened right now with this post when I hit submit. Back to the good ol' login page.
I'll try to replicate this issue. Thanks for letting me know.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am(Next time I'll just let the guy sell us canisters of semen if it bothers phpBB3 so much.)
If you tell me what kind, I'll see if I can source it.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Sometimes I share links to posts here with non-members but I can totally understand and respect why you would block some forums from that.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:56 pm Because you touch yourself at night.
What does that even mean? I work from home for now so that shit happens all day long.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 am
The Happiness Engine wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:56 pm Because you touch yourself at night.
What does that even mean? I work from home for now so that shit happens all day long.
It's a not very great allusion to Real Genius. Just accept it as a non-sequitur that didn't land.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:29 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 am
It's a not very great allusion to Real Genius. Just accept it as a non-sequitur that didn't land.
Do you mean the movie? I love that movie. Thats one of Val Kilmer's lines isn't it?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am. Some forums I am going to keep as ones you need to login to read because there is no benefit to exposing some of the bases to the public at large.
With search borken err i mean broken, Google search using site:joltcountry.com is the only reliable way to search postings here.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Just be upfront and honest and tell me that the new message number/no new message thing is something I will just have to live with forever because it is never getting addressed. I can cope with the fact that you are really, really, really busy with everything probably forever which means you don't have time to fix a problem that there is no known fix for. But the delusion that it may have gotten fixed each time I log in just to see it not fixed is soul crushing.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:59 pm Just be upfront and honest and tell me that the new message number/no new message thing is something I will just have to live with forever because it is never getting addressed. I can cope with the fact that you are really, really, really busy with everything probably forever which means you don't have time to fix a problem that there is no known fix for. But the delusion that it may have gotten fixed each time I log in just to see it not fixed is soul crushing.
I don't know what to do yet but it's happening to me as well, but yeah, the forum issues came out of nowhere and so I've been trying to fix them when I've had a spare hour here and there.
Just be upfront and honest and
At no point was I trying to be deceitful? On something forum-killing, like whatever it was last week, I dropped everything and fixed it, but stuff that isn't as awful I'm doing when I can.

Ice Cream Jonsey

But also check it now?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:33 pm But also check it now?
That fixed it. Thank you.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Can something be done about the bots?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

It's not possible to post here from a mobile device.

For some reason, clicking the "Full Editor & Preview" button from a tablet does not work. Using my finger to click on the button causes it to show the go down, then pop up images, but no action occurs. Trying this several times causes the same result. Even clicking on the "submit" button also does nothing. This makes it impossible for me to post when using a mobile tablet.

I will concede however, that it's entirely possible that the problem is with my tablet or with the software on it such as Firefox for mobile, or with the keyboard Processing Software that handles conversion of touch to mouse click.

Now, it is also entirely possible that some will consider this to be a feature, not a bug, as it reduces my ability to post. Just realize, my PC has voice recognition software that my tablet does not, which means my ability to type on the tablet is much less than on my PC. So, if anything, if you want to get me to post less, you would probably want to encourage me to use a tablet instead of a PC. I just happened to be using it today because I could not find my keyboard for a while, or I might never have known about the problem.

This message created with the assistance of the speech recognition software included with this Lenovo desktop PC. It was inspired by another message that was originally written on my tablet.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.