Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Post by pinback »

Let me preface this by thanking Mr. Ice Cream Jonathan Z. on finally giving this place the fresh coat of paint it needed, and really, deserved. I fully support his efforts in this regard, and I think this will usher in an exciting new era in Jolt Country BBSing, and of me personally hitting Ctrl-R on it every 90 seconds just to distract myself from the rest of my godforsaken life.

That being said, let's focus on the NEGATIVE, just for a bit. As of this point, here are some...

THINGS WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE NEW BBS

I am not including "youtube and image links don't work", because I haven't checked it lately and am not sure if that's still true. But if it is, of course, that's #1.

Otherwise, here are my current complaints:

o WHITE - This has already been discussed. There needs to be more contrast in between posts. Contrast between forums is not necessary, but only if my second complaint is addressed, which is...

o BASES - On the old one, when you hovered over a base, the entire box would change color, and you could click anywhere on the box to enter the base. Now, there is no color, no hovering, and you have to click specifically on the base title to get in there. Between the two, this is by far the larger complaint, and probably the #1 issue that needs to be addressed.

That's it for now. I'll add more things what I don't like as they occur to me.

But again, thanks very much for doing this, it's a great improvement, and much appreciated.

...and thanks.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: Things What I Don't Like About The New BBS.

Post by pinback »

Wow, I just noticed that the forum bars DO change color when you hover over them, but the change is virtually imperceptible. I didn't even percept it until now. So at least the functionality is there. It just needs to be darker, and you need to be able to click anywhere on the bar to enter the base.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I think this works?

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Shit, I guess it doesn't. That is supposed to be from The Pawn.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think user avatars would also really help here. But we can't upload them due to folder permissions and I can't get installed ones to work.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Still like old color better. If it's going to be this color can someone at least get us something groucho like, like get what's his name douche Subaru photog wannabe, oh yeah Jeff, to bring us up to speed about his progress with slr lens, subaru rim and baby collecting?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The "see new posts since last visit" function appears to be missing. But I'll have plenty of time to watch having gotten 30 days for contempt from the Jury Commissioner's office. Surprisingly, the jail has decent wifi.

Just kidding, they don't have wifi, I'm using the 3G on my phone.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

top left, quick link -> new posts seems to exist.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Oh great, there's a fucking mobile site here now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. It works on mobile now, yes.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I don't care about the "base" thing myself Pinback mentioned. I'm not confused at all by the navigation scheme here.

As far as the color scheme goes, I vote to change the inner white background to black or the same dark blue as the outer background, change the title/text colors in that inner background to something brighter once that is done.

Then decide on actual post color(s).
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey! Nice new forum! I will miss the PS2 theme but I can live with this, especially now that it's phone friendly. No more zooming and scrolling for minutes on end. What tweaks are you thinking about for the future?

THE
BRIGHT AND SHINY
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Plus I like being able to jump to the front page with one click. Just....no more dead cat stories please...It's so sad.

THE
DIRGE
AARDVARK

just kidding, blog about anything you want

Casual Observer

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am Oh great, there's a fucking mobile site here now.
not kidding, mobile sites are terrible. I wish I could have enough control over my own phone for a persistent "desktop" setting. Fuck, my phone won't even let me keep the Wi-Fi off. No I don't want limited interface for websites and I don't want to connect to every xfinity and AT&T Wi-Fi I drive by.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ok. Well, that's insane. The site was completely unusable on iPhones and Android phones using the old configuration.

I will, however, see if I can't find a theme for you that has no mobile component.

Also, I only turned off guest posting because the Russians were getting past the CAPTCHA. I know you like to post that way and I'd like to have it turned back on.

Also, Walrustitty was not a douche and he is a finer photographer than anyone else I have ever known. I think we're up to date!

Casual Observer

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 am Ok. Well, that's insane. The site was completely unusable on iPhones and Android phones using the old configuration.
I just don't understand this issue with reading websites on phones, I have a smallish phone (s6 active) now and don't have any more trouble using regular websites than I did when I had a huge Note5.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 amI will, however, see if I can't find a theme for you that has no mobile component.
nah, forgetiboutit, i can just click "desktop site" every time
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 amAlso, I only turned off guest posting because the Russians were getting past the CAPTCHA. I know you like to post that way and I'd like to have it turned back on.
that would be cool, especially for joke characters or for being rude to billy mays
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 amAlso, Walrustitty was not a douche and he is a finer photographer than anyone else I have ever known. I think we're up to date!
I'm probably just jealous of his charmed life.

Casual Observer

I really like how this version puts the title of the most recently commented thread right in the index view.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Casual Observer

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:51 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 amAlso, Walrustitty was not a douche and he is a finer photographer than anyone else I have ever known. I think we're up to date!
I'm probably just jealous of his charmed life.
don't get me wrong, Jeff seems like a nice guy, I even met him once when I sold him Jack Straw's box of modded xbox1 shit. This guy has an amazing collection of photography equipment, seems like a great family guy, seems to have a great family and wife and still has time for multiple hobbies so his choices and successes are certainly enviable.

However, his obsession with circumcision: while i shouldn't call him a douche, I think it's douchy. What the fuck is going so horribly wrong with this guy's penis that a vagina doesn't give enough pleasure? What exactly does he think that a bacteria laden hood would add to the process? Shouldn't he spare his kid the increased disease risk or the pain of getting it done later? Kinda douchy.

Also, his hatchback subaru sti was a bit douchy.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, I understand that you were not being sarcastic then, but seeing how the BBS software thread turned into one about circumcision, well, NOW clearly we have entered the realm of jokeyness. Which I am OK with. OK. Whew.

Wait, what side of the old snip snip are you on?