Anyone here running Windows 10 every day?

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Anyone here running Windows 10 every day?

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Call it a poll. Just curious. I use it for one machine at work for Windows 10 testing. Wondering if others use it every day around here or not.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I use it. Have been for about two years now.

pinback

Post by pinback »

All day erry day.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

All day every day, both for work and at home.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I tried it for ten minutes and then it crashed... So actually never

Ice Cream Jonsey

Is there a way to get it for a discount these days if you, say, have a copy of Vista and want to upgrade going that route?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Gaming computer is still running Windows 7.

CO

Post by CO »

Yeah, I gave in to their incessant prodding and allowed the free update on my home computers plus my work laptop has it. My experience is that 10 is buggy as shit with weird things that go wrong like sometimes right-click on windows menu does nothing or office programs act up. No blue screen of death so far in this one so I guess I can live with it.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Never leaving windows 7 until this retarded obsession with stealing everything off my machine goes away.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

As soon as I saw they started calling programs 'apps' was the second I didn't like W-10. the it bricked me out and I didn't like it more.

THE
NEWSPEAK
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

You guys are so obnoxious. Windows 10 is Windows 7 except with sweet-ass multiple desktops.

I mean, that's it. If you have any other problems, I don't know what you're doing.

"DEY STEALIN OUR IDENTITTIES" yeah right. Nobody gives a fuck about you and your fuckin' Sporcle score.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Stop changing the nomenclature and maybe I'll think about it.

Programs are software and and apps are food items at Hooters.

THE
NEVER MIX THE DRUGS, ROSALITA
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote:You guys are so obnoxious. Windows 10 is Windows 7 except with sweet-ass multiple desktops.

I mean, that's it. If you have any other problems, I don't know what you're doing.

"DEY STEALIN OUR IDENTITTIES" yeah right. Nobody gives a fuck about you and your fuckin' Sporcle score.
They got rid of the easy ability to drag things to the Startup folder.

It blows.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Open up the run window (WIN+R) and type "shell:common startup" -- it'll take you right to the startup folder and you can drop/drag anything you want in there. While you're there you can make a shortcut to the folder on your desktop, if you want.

I'm in the process of rolling out Windows 10 to 60,000 machines. The hardest thing to convey to end users is Microsoft's new "software as a service" model, which includes both Windows 10 and Office 2016. The days of only getting updates once per month and options never changing are gone. Windows 10 is more like a phone operating system -- you're going to get constant updates, major upgrades 1-2 times a year, and if you don't keep up, expect things to stop working quickly.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Grebble

Post by Grebble »

I'm running it because my goddamn kids clicked on all the buttons to turn my perfectly fine computer that had Windows 7 into 10. (I usually use beer goggles for that)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Is there a way to get it for a discount these days if you, say, have a copy of Vista and want to upgrade going that route?
Microsoft did that about a couple of years ago. Anyone running 7 or higher on any machine capable of running 10 would get the option of a free upgrade to the same release level of 10 as they were currently running, e.g. 7 Pro to 10 Pro, 8 Home to 10 Home. I did it with one of my computers, the Cybertron. The other, my Acer Aspire running 7, wasn't "beefy" enough to upgrade to 10.

I think the offer ran for six months. Now you have to pay full retail price. However there are places apparently selling discounted licenses, and you can download a free trial version of Windows from Microsoft that with a license converts it to a permanent version.

This computer, a 3ghz Quadcore Lenovo ThinkCentre, which cost about $150 refurbished, came with 4G of memory and Windows 10 Pro. Had some resource problems when running several apps so I added another 4G and found it worked great without needing the extra 8G I bought to boost it to 16G.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak