Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Ex got through Greenlight.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Ex got through Greenlight.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

There was some thought that it wouldn't because of the politics of the creator, but no, it got through in less than two weeks, deservedly so.

[youtube][/youtube]

There is something to be said for building your community over 20 years so that when the game does get on a silly system like Greenlight, it immediately vaults to the top 30.

As far as I can tell, Grimoire is a character role-playing game along the lines of The Bard's Tale and Wizardry. It certainly seems like it could be more complex that either of those two.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

22 years of crippling autism is being released upon the world in 15 minutes! I feel like a werewolf during the fool moon, all of my sentences are heightened to levels that shouldn't even be possible!

Ice Cream Jonsey

He said 7PM EDT, missed it. We'll see if it comes out. I would doubt it.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

There is a "Take all items" option for chests, so that resolves my main issue with games like this (considering this option wasn't even in the first version of Grimrock if I remember correctly) and shows he isn't pushing it back all the old to Old Skool.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

cleve has been spending much of the last 24 hours posting gobbledygook on Steam and calling people autistic on the rpgcodex. I think Robb's right on this one.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Here is an overview of the hype and missed deadlines if anyone else was wondering what was going on:

wocredits.co/columns/grimoire-heralds-winged-exemplars-latest-delay-one-decades-worth-broken-promises/

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

He ain't releasing it. There's been a few bits of psychological analysis done and he can't take criticism and he isn't a good enough software engineer to get the stuff done he thinks up in his head.

His last excuse was making the save games backwards compatible. This is simply performance art. It's good performance art! I give him a ton of credit for it.

But it's been a while since we've had a good CRPG blobber and honestly, I'll finish and release Cyberganked before he releases Grimoire.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Some of his latest dev notes are hilarious:

"I found a splitter glitch where one of the armoured zombies had his sword extended into the newly extended shadow mask of the companion frame beside him (by about two pixels) and this threw the splitter off and it was collating two frames as one."

Emphasis mine. The guy is beyond his own self imposed deadline and he is holding back the game due to bugs that result in a two pixel, two frame error somewhere random in his 255 full on environments.

Geese...

At least Bard's Tale IV was finally announced for 2018!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

RetroRomper wrote:The guy is beyond his own self imposed deadline and he is holding back the game due to bugs that result in a two pixel, two frame error somewhere random in his 255 full on environments.
I always wondered what would happen if Adrian Monk would make a video game. Now I know.

Ice Cream Jonsey

We'll see if BT4 makes it. I would doubt it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think we can safely say that the drama surrounding the missed date of August 1st was well worth it. It's also nice to see Pinback and Cleve get along.

Ice Cream Jonsey

So far I am really enjoying the hell out of it.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

4:3? Really?

Ice Cream Jonsey

What, aspect ratio? CONTEXT, REALNC. Yes, I play it in a window and it's great. Let me put it this way: there isn't anything that is going to be gained by stretching the screen out.

I am slightly tempted to hook up my ViewSonic CRT for it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Adding this as I heard it was a good run through and want to watch it tomorrow.

[youtube][/youtube]

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

No, I meant the game is 4:3 regardless of whether you have a 4:3 monitor or an ultra-wide one.

That's just crap.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Why would you say that? I think it was just meant for either old monitors or windowed mode.

I realize I am talking to someone who flawlessly made our screen resolutions work for Hugor. =)

(Wait, before I send this, I want to ensure you know I am being serious and kind there, that is not sarcasm.)

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Well, he worked on this game for years, and apparently delayed it because half a sub-pixel was off in one frame or something.

Couldn't he adjust the 3D viewport (guess it's an OpenGL game) to be 16:9 on widescreen monitors? Compared to the insane amount of attention to detail this guy gave the game, having HUGE FUCKING BLACK BARS to the left and right on the screen would have been considered a more important issue :-P

RetroR

Post by RetroR »

Soooo Cleve Blakemore has been banning writers of his Steam page due to extreme right wing opinions such as the game is unfinished, unpolished, yet fun!

[youtube][/youtube]

Or the fact it isn't the End All Be All of RPGs.

DRAMA!