We are on the cusp of disaster as a community.

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

We are on the cusp of disaster as a community.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I have received word that Pinback has made it safely in China.

Now. Many System Operators of bulletin boards are naturally against their userbase having or controlling childre-- hm? I am receiving notification that the word is "adopting" not "controlling." Thank you. We are against this, because children take time, time that could otherwise be spent posting video game reviews, recipes or insults towards the other posters.

All of which drive the forum.

This is a cause for concern for all of us, but we cannot discount the fact that China is a problem too. China is an incredibly difficult country to get out of. There are 1.9 billion Chinese people in the world. But how many do you work with?

We have to come together as a community in this, our darkest time. The man that has provided 99% of the content over the years has left us.

What will you say when you are asked how you supported Jolt Country during its darkest day? It's like this, only someone might actually ask you about JC:

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I approve of this post, but only because I had nothing better to do.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I had no idea there were 1.9 billion Chinese people on the planet, or that so many of them were trapped in China. I did some research and discovered that apparently rickshaws don't float. Who knew?

I feel like I have already contributed enough to the Chinese economy to save a few people (I own a stack of outdated iPods and iPhones), but if it'll help, I'm willing to raise my game and eat Panda Express every day until Pinback makes it back home alive. This is no small token on my part. The egg rolls at Panda Express are greasy and taste burnt, and ever since they discontinued carrying soup I've wanted to stab somebody in the eye with one of their perfectly machined chopsticks... but if a sacrifice is in order, then pass me a handful of hot mustard packets and load me up with a scoop of Sweet Asian Chicken and a side of altruism.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I like the idea of you helping by eating. Since I ruined my body, that is a way that I can't continue. I believe the strongest crews compliment the weaknesses of others, like:

Star Trek
- Most of the crew were human and were susceptible to posion gas and radiation
- But they had a robot that didn't breathe air
- And they had a blind guy who could see radiation

Jolt Country
- They had a guy who destroyed his body
- They had a guy in a wheelchair who was a bit of a foodie and would never settle for delivery
- The rest of the crew can consume Chinese food and walk

So in this, we're in good shape. I think things are coming together nicely!!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The movie "30" with Jack Webb as the editor of the #2 Los Angeles Newspaper is discussing with his best friend, the lead transcriber who takes field reports over the phone from reporters and transcribes them.

The story is taking place in the late 1950s, and he's discussing with her how he and his wife are planning to (locally) adopt a child (of about 8 or 10). She says she knows, and he says, "How?"
"You listed me as a reference on the application form."

He's got second thoughts about whether they should be adopting, possibly wondering if it was the right thing (perhaps as opposed to having one of their own), are they good enough to be parents, and all the other problems he can see.

"Look, the only difference between having your own child and adopting is you bring one home from a building and the other from a hospital. It's what you do with them and what you teach them that counts."

Now, obviously the human race is not going to die out any time, but look people: children are the future. They are going to be the ones who have to take over from us when we leave this world. If we fail in that we conceivably fail as a species.

If we can look at what is commendable and what is deplorable, what do we see as good, and right, and honorable? That which supports children and our future, because it is the only way our genes and our ideas can survive to continue. What do we see as evil, as wrong, and deplorable? That which destroys children and damages our future.

Lifeboat rules call for "women and children first." The 9 pound cat who so viciously defends her kittens that she drives off a 60 pound dog. The woman who gives up her life to save her child. These and other stories carry forward the life-affirming actions of that which touch us and affirm the value of life.

A can that eats its kittens. Susan Smith, who strapped her children into her car, and drove it into the lake, betraying the trust of her children, and murdering them. A religious fanatic who, believing that they should not treat their children, allows them to die of a disease or condition easily treated. These and other stories point backward as life-destroying actions of that which sicken and disgust us and have no value at all.

These are the reasons we see providing for children as a positive benefit. Because, as England Dan and John Ford Coley sang in Love is the Answer: "Who knows why / Someday we all must die." But the care and upbringing of children gives us the capacity to do more than merely live, but to pass on our ideas and values to our descendants.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:The movie "30" with Jack Webb as the editor of the #2 Los Angeles Newspaper is discussing with his best friend, the lead transcriber who takes field reports over the phone from reporters and transcribes them.

The story is taking place in the late 1950s, and he's discussing with her how he and his wife are planning to (locally) adopt a child (of about 8 or 10). She says she knows, and he says, "How?"
"You listed me as a reference on the application form."

He's got second thoughts about whether they should be adopting, possibly wondering if it was the right thing (perhaps as opposed to having one of their own), are they good enough to be parents, and all the other problems he can see.

"Look, the only difference between having your own child and adopting is you bring one home from a building and the other from a hospital. It's what you do with them and what you teach them that counts."

Now, obviously the human race is not going to die out any time, but look people: children are the future. They are going to be the ones who have to take over from us when we leave this world. If we fail in that we conceivably fail as a species.

If we can look at what is commendable and what is deplorable, what do we see as good, and right, and honorable? That which supports children and our future, because it is the only way our genes and our ideas can survive to continue. What do we see as evil, as wrong, and deplorable? That which destroys children and damages our future.

Lifeboat rules call for "women and children first." The 9 pound cat who so viciously defends her kittens that she drives off a 60 pound dog. The woman who gives up her life to save her child. These and other stories carry forward the life-affirming actions of that which touch us and affirm the value of life.

A can that eats its kittens. Susan Smith, who strapped her children into her car, and drove it into the lake, betraying the trust of her children, and murdering them. A religious fanatic who, believing that they should not treat their children, allows them to die of a disease or condition easily treated. These and other stories point backward as life-destroying actions of that which sicken and disgust us and have no value at all.

These are the reasons we see providing for children as a positive benefit. Because, as England Dan and John Ford Coley sang in Love is the Answer: "Who knows why / Someday we all must die." But the care and upbringing of children gives us the capacity to do more than merely live, but to pass on our ideas and values to our descendants.
I call being the blind guy.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Is this the end of Jolt Country as we know it?

Ice Cream Jonsey

No, clearly Tdarcos has listened to all the feedback we have given him over the years and taken it to heart and changed his behavior. The old one would have ruined this thread with the most unreadable 20-page tangent any of us have ever seen.