In this thread, I tell all about my awful interviews

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

In this thread, I tell all about my awful interviews

Post by RetroRomper »

... that are mostly terrible because of me.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

I feel like you're being a little rough on yourself.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Go.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Alright...

So the first interview I had was this last Thursday, was a quick 15 minute, 4 question screen about a few very basic aspects of IT process and improvement.

My screw ups were:

1. I focused too closely on the regular interview questions (such as "what are your strengths, yadda yadda) as opposed to subject matter ones.

2. I had meant to look up and freshen my memory on the industry specific ones the night before, but I waited till the next morning and made notes on the very, very basic blah blah ones.

3. I talked too much at the end of the interview, including THEN offering what I could do for them and accidentally critiquing their process in a none too kind light.

4. Obviously nervous was I with a cold and my best thinking is done while walking... So I was constantly out of breath while I was speaking to them.

5. There were numerous chances for me to turn their questions around and make me look much better in their light. I missed out on at least two of those.

So ya, the one job I have three years experience in and I may have messed it up, especially since the end tone was the whole "we'll contact you in a few days for whatever next steps" in a matter of fact tone.

I'm probably reading way too much into it.. But its causing my alot of anxiety especially with healthcare going south and the fact my living situation is... Precarious.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Plus ya know, the one job I am very much qualified for and I may not get it or be out of the running for it....

"sigh"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I received a letter stating that I was "unfortunately not one of the finalists" which considering the interview ended with a laugh from my potential boss (in a none too polite way,) couldn't have ended any better.

Already had interview #2 and my rustiness with simple protocols such as DHCP, DNS, troubleshooting a damn laptop, kinda bit me in the ass. On the plus side, the interviewer was friendly enough, soft spoken and understanding so we'll see how far that takes me.

--Retro

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM