Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Re: Stupid Linux! Be more funny

Post by AArdvark »

A friend of mine was throwing away her old laptop computers, recycling, really. Naturally I asked if I could have them. If I can't use them for anything then I will recycle them. Got a Toshiba Satellite and an Acer Aspire mini. The Toshiba had a broken screen and was slow as shit but it did have a good HD in it and a 1 gig mem stick so I kept those. The Acer had a crap 8gig drive and 256m of onboard. I put the 1gig stick in it and a 125G Kensington SSD drive I had in a box downstairs. At first I put Lubuntu on it but decided I wanted a (fucking stolen!) Microsoft product so I loaded in Tiny7. Using it now on my back deck to see what it's like. It's faster than my Inspirion but I have to lean way close to see anything. It's better than a phone because of the real keyboard, even if it's built for people with fingers like pipe cleaners.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update: putting Debian in the Acer mini. Results to follow

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Sucks, back to XP.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What did you not like about it?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The machine is an Acer 1.5Ghz laptop with 1.5 gigs of ram. When I click on a file navigation window it takes five seconds to open. At one time those specs were cutting edge. I want an OS that bang-zooms it's internal stuff when I ask it to.

THE
OPEN SEZ ME
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Eh, going to try putting Windows 98 or 95 in it. Boot disc in my usb floppy drive and all the .cab files on a flash drive

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:06 am Eh, going to try putting Windows 98 or 95 in it. Boot disc in my usb floppy drive and all the .cab files on a flash drive
Try a Linux distro that uses either LXQT or XFCE for the desktop. That is fast even on 20 year old machines.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC has the goooooooooood shit.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What I want is for the laptop to boot right into a Commodore emulator. The Acer is going to be my C64 machine. But it needs to do it fast, fast. I was considering Dos 6.2 but there's driver issues. XP works except it's slow as fudge.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Update: put Q40S Linux something-something in the Acer. Win98 has memory issues and keeps BSOD-ing me. I put the Commodore emulator in my Dell. I thought the charging port was messed up because the power cord would run the machine but it wouldn't charge the battery. Turns out I needed a new Dell charging cable, it fixed everything. Yay.

Rolled my desktop pc back to 7. Win10 used to go through this awful malware scan every time I turned the machine on. It sounded like a coffee grinder and practically locked the pc up for the first fifteen minutes. Plus the added fun of updates that do nothing every month. 10 was OK but too clunky, 7 is pretty fast. I never had 7 in this machine before because I never figured out the legacy BIOS/UEFI settings before yesterday.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I set my Ubuntu machine to upgrade last night. I went into the terminal today and it is displaying a "[OS^" character when it waits for input, or before it outputs anything. It has made the terminal totally unusable.

I don't care how or why it happens. They have to test this stuff, fix it and BE BETTER.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I installed zsh and then ohmyzh and I guess it is fixed. I should have had that installed anyway. I just didn't. GET OFF ME. STOP. STOP. STOOOOOOPPPPP. Okay. God. Stop. All right it's there, Jesus.