Replacement stuff

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Replacement stuff

Post by AArdvark »

Does this happen to anyone else?

I need new winter boots, cause my old ones are getting worn out. I buy new replacement boots but don't throw the old ones away. "Eh, I'll use them in the mud, " I say to myself.

This is how AArdvark fools AArdvark. It's not replacing the old item, it's having a new item AND an old item and just keep on using both items. I did the same thing with my phone, I did it with my headsets. Now I did it with my winter boots. Glad I don't need a hip replacement.

THE
SLOW
ACCUMULATION
AARDVARK

raecoffey

Re: Replacement stuff

Post by raecoffey »

The birth of a hoarder.

Don't hoard hips. That would make you a hippy.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Oh, I am far from being a hoarder. It's just that some stuff....

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:21 pm Oh, I am far from being a hoarder. It's just that some stuff....
I was just kidding...
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

There can be perfectly valid reasons to keep broken or partially inoperative equipment "on standby" while using the new items. For example, I have a set of wired headphones, a keyboard, and a mouse. I also have in a box, my old wired headphones, which have a broken headband (I use "old school" over the ear headphones with a support headband brace over the top of my head) because if this happens to the new ones, the cord accidentally gets cut, or damaged, I can use the old ones while waiting for Amazon to deliver a new pair.

For my keyboard, I routinely drop them, which, if I am unlucky not to do so into the wastebasket, will usually crack the case and/or eject keys. So if I can't continue to use that keyboard, I'll go into a drawer and switch to an earlier one with less debilitating injuries, then go on Amazon and order a new one.

As for mice, they're cheap enough at about $7 I keep a second new one in case the current one is damaged or fails. I have had at least one mouse fail for no apparent reason.

While headphones are just nice to have, keyboards and mice are "mission critical components," that if I don't have a hot-swap available, I'm out of service until I have a replacement. A keyboard in which all or most of the numeric keypad keys are missing or has a hole in the corner will work, although I would not want to use it long term. I don't particularly want to have to wait 2-3 days before I can use my computer again.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Gotcha gotcha. Yeah I live in a room so I have to be efficient however, u do keep doubles of charging cables.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

The REAL Real Man

Post by The REAL Real Man »

AArdvark wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:34 pm I need new winter boots, cause my old ones are getting worn out. I buy new replacement boots but don't throw the old ones away. "Eh, I'll use them in the mud, " I say to myself.
This doesn't happen to me because I MOVED AWAY FROM THE GODDAMNED SNOW.

But it does happen with other things. My wife and I aren't quite hoarders, but we are rather cluttery. We are dealing with this now, literally this week, because we are re-arranging our apartment to move an aunt in with us. Going through lots of clutter, stuff we've kept and stuff we should have thrown out but just shoved in a corner and never dealt with. (I'm going to wear out my shredder on old healthcare-related mail I never got around to shredding.)

My boss is famous for saying NO. That's my imitation of him: "Mac, can we--" "NO." "But if we did this with the story, we could--" "NO." It's funnier to hear than read. And as we go through stuff, I am hearing his voice in my head. "Will I ever need this?" "NO." I told Robin about it. I thought she was more ruthless than me, but even she's having second thoughts about keeping some stuff, and I'm encouraging her to think like Mac: "NO."

I used to fret about forgetting stuff on trips, then finally convinced myself that they have stores in all parts of the world, and anything I need that I forget, I can easily buy. I'm trying to apply that to the rest of my life. If I get rid of something, will I need it again? If I haven't needed it in the last 5 years, chances are I won't, and if I do I can buy another one. Do I need it? "NO."

Of course, this all works until I stumble upon something I *didn't* throw out and actually need. Like pretty much all of the old network cards I've been hoarding, now that I'm futzing with those old PCs. The Toshiba has not one but two Xircom PCMCIA network cards. I know I have dongles for them somewhere. Am I glad I saved them? YES.

TRM

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Once I bought my last paid or sneakers, I turned my Vans into lawnmowing sneakers. So yes, I do this sort of thing too! Even sometimes with pots or pans.. I'll keep an old worn out around for ehh I dunno if I decide to just make something that may ruin it or whatever.

My hoarding habit is arcade shit. PCBs, CRT monitors/tubes, monitor parts, tools including a desolder station and oscilloscope the size of a small suitcase, numerous wires and alligator clips, the list goes on and on. Some if I may never use again but whatever ha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻