FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Pinback's Three-and-a-Half Second Movie Reviews
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinback

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Pinback's Three-and-a-Half Second Movie Reviews Reply with quote

This is the thread in which I let you know, using very little effort and almost no proofreading whatsoever, what I think of various movies which I watch, which I'm doing a lot of now that I'm on Netflix. These reviews are for entertainment purposes only, and should not be used as the basis for any wager.

8 Mile: I really wanted to like this. I'm a big Eminem guy. The "final showdown" was a blast. Every other second of the movie sucked so hard I had to grab hold of my couch to keep from flying into the DVD player. Damn. (*)

Blue Crush: Nearly as awful as 8 Mile, but since there was no pretense to being any good, it was significantly more enjoyable. Also, pretty waves. (*1/2)

The Sacrifice: My second Tarkovsky movie, after Solaris, and his last, it manages to be even SLOWER and more opaque than Solaris! But no matter, there are still scenes and emotions which stay with you long after you see it. But damn, my man makes some SLOW-ASS movies. (***1/2)

Catch Me If You Can: Impossible to not like. Spielberg is God. There's nothing earth-shattering about this movie, but everything that's there is done well, and it's hard not to have a smile on your face through most of it. (***)

One Hour Photo: I already talked about this, but I thought I'd throw it in here just for completeness. (****)

Big Fat Greek Wedding: Cute. Lost some energy toward the end, but short enough that it didn't matter all that much. (**1/2)

This has been, Pinback's whatever it is.

Stay tuned for the following upcoming half-assed movie reviews: Magnolia, Adaptation, Star Trek: Nemesis, Chasing Amy
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I play?

Kewl.

I got HBO recently. So here we go.

Star Trek: Nemesis: It fucking blew. *

High Crimes: Nothing at all remarkable about this movie in any way. Judd looked good throughout, I guess. *

Phone Booth: Surprisingly unremarkable. I hated Colin's character. Kiefer was good in it. **

X-Men II: Mentioned this earlier. Really entertaining and fun, if mindless. ***1/2

American History X: Mike grabbed this from Columbia House -- I had never seen it all the way through, previously. What can I say, I dug it. Why did (spoiler) have to happen at the end, though? Is the director/screenwriter essentially saying that change is pointless unless everyone joins hands with you at the end of the day? Or that it is admirable to change regardless of who is with you? I thought the (spoiler) happening was tacked-on, because somebody felt it had to happen. Also: Go Suplee! ***
pinback

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Can I play?

No, you may not.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Can I play?

No, you may not.

Excellent! You have managed to submarine your own thread within three total posts. Imagine the Mortal Kombat announcer laughing with delight over this turn of events, please!
Pinner

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, douchewad? The thread is NOT submarined, I simply haven't watched any movies since then, as Netflix is scouring my queue to provide me with only the latest and most sought-after films. Once I watch them, I will provide half-assed review in this thread for all of them.

Now, please leave this thread, never to return.
Pinperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek: Nemesis: Certainly not the send-off that this crew and this franchise deserved. Number of moderately cool/entertaining moments: About four. Number of cringe-inducing moments of forced humor/nostalgia or sappy nonsense: Significantly more than four.

Winner: Not the audience. (*1/2)
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnolia:

Instantly one of the best 20 movies I've ever seen. Emotionally shattering, immensely entertaining, and astoundingly well-done.

Incredible. Outstanding. The purpose of the invention of film.

(*****)
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a fantastic movie... I found myself liking it more and more the more I thought back on it.
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding myself unable to wind down for sleep, after having my world rocked.

Holy fucking shit!
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep this discourse going, let me mention how when my brother rented Magnolia on VHS from Blockbuster, he accidentally started the second tape first and when he realized that no title sequence was coming, he just figured he'd watch the two parts in opposite order. He still liked the movie a good deal.

Ok, so that story loses something in the telling. I should watch the movie again.
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the movie would be quite as impactful watched in reverse order. But yes, let's keep this discourse going:

Uh.

Who was hotter, the drugged-out Julianne Moore, or the drugged out other chick?
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the drugged out other chick. Of course, it's kind of hard to make any sort of decision because so much of one's opinions are based on sympathy to the movie's characters, and Magnolia is one of those fantastic films in that aspect. In my opinion, very much like 'the royal tenenbaums,' except much more realistic.
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY MINOR SPOILER
-----------------------

Say, Roody, in the VERY VERY last scene in the movie, I couldn't hear what the guy was saying, because the music was so much higher in the mix. Were we supposed to hear what he was saying, or were we just supposed to get the general idea, and figure it out for ourselves? Because if THAT'S the case, then I gotta move this up to top 10 status immediately. If it's just that my TV's sound was screwed up, then I need a new TV.
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been too long since I've seen it so I really can't say, especially since I'm pretty sure I watched the movie with subtitles on as I do a lot of the time with DVDs. That sounds like it might be right, though.
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Why do you watch with subtitles on? Do you have a hearing disability, or do you just like being able to double-check the dialogue?

2. I think you're right, that I'm right, and that's just all the more impressive. Wow, man.

Wow, man.
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Why do you watch with subtitles on? Do you have a hearing disability, or do you just like being able to double-check the dialogue?

Mainly, I just like to double-check the dialogue. A lot of good movies have bits that are easy to miss because of either pacing or sound-mixing or whatever. Even when I watch movies I grew up with with subtitles on, there's often at least one part where I'm like, "So THAT's what they said!"

Quote:
2. I think you're right, that I'm right, and that's just all the more impressive. Wow, man.

Well, maybe this ruins everything, but here's some guy's take on the movie and there's dialogue from the end that you may be talking about.

http://tinyurl.com/df7b
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that, although I'm not going to click on that link until I see the movie a couple more times, because now it's just too emotional an experience to sully by delving into its particulars.

Hey Roody! This is kinda fun, just us two on here, yappin' about films. Imagine everyone else, all snug in their beds, and they'll get up next morning and have a whole fun thread to read! Ain't that a kick.
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do have to admit that it's kind of nice to get in on one of these. Is there a way to get an e-mail every time someone posts to a thread if you didn't start it? Just curious.

I'd hate to taint you by making the two movies seem more similar than they actually are, but I'm curious about your opinion on 'The Royal Tenenbaums' if you have seen it. If you haven't, forget that I ever mentioned it.
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, don't mind me. I found the thing in my profile to take care of the e-mail thing.
pinback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see Tenenbaums. I've seen that title come up in more than one discussion about Magnolia, so I guess I HAVE to see it now. But of course, now I'm going to be unable to enjoy it, because I'll be comparing it from first frame to last.

Here, let me add it to my Netflix queue right now. Even though I just reported my first "lost" DVD after only two weeks, so I have a feeling my relationship with Netflix may be painfully short-lived.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum