FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Hey Robb!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jethro Q. Walrustitty wrote:
The fucking DVD player doesn't cost $50.

You really should have quit while you were ahead. Thanks for the hearty good laugh.
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of JQW's mental condition where he still thinks technology is priced as if it were 01.

I don't see why he's belly aching about a guy who encouraged you to go and download his work to see if you like it or not. I don't care if charges eight million for elephant shit mixed up with his baby teeth and labeled "Democracy" as long as he's by proxy offering for free to anyone who doesn't want to pay.

J Scott, if you want to rape JQW's wife and then kill them both I'll give you an alibi, I think it's okay as long as you don't touch any kids or talk about touching anyone's kid. I might not be allowed to talk about raping someone's wife though. I'm not really clear on these things.
ICJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
J Scott, if you want to rape JQW's wife and then kill them both I'll give you an alibi, I think it's okay as long as you don't touch any kids or talk about touching anyone's kid. I might not be allowed to talk about raping someone's wife though. I'm not really clear on these things.

In the "Real SysOps don't eat quiche" thing they say that REAL SysOps do not frequent the local "bitch" board. It's nice to know that I not only frequent it, but apparently run it. Can't you go one thread this month without trying to bump off somebody's kid? You're like the Pied Piper, except instead of trying to steal children by the use of a magical lute, you're trying to kill them in an attempt to simply get loot.
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say? I'm a folk hero that defeats people by wishing their children die over message boards.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Damn you, Bersonscki!!!! ::shakes fist::
Lysander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, does anyone remember the time when DVD players cost over 200 dollars?
JQW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DVD player was $300, a kick-ass Toshiba from the brand-new 800.com.

Yes, I'm sure people are appreciating fancy packing. ALL THREE OF THEM that'll pay $50. That's why I was suggesting that you'd do all the work yourself. A three-disc dual-layer doco on BBSs? You might as well make the biggest ball of twine.

The problem is that the basic idea is flawed. You either end up with an unwatchable VH1-style montage of people saying "oh yeah, I remember that, that was great" (see their "we love the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc" shows)... or you end up talking to a couple people who no one ever heard of from outside that area.

OK, you might be able to talk a little about Compuserve or GEnie (perhaps touching on the fact that it's pronounced "jif" not "g-if"), but by and large - people only knew a tiny circle of BBSs. Even in the same city, people only frequented a few. Atari people stayed on Atari BBSs, Apple people on Apple, Commodore on Commodore, and later, PC on PC. You could do a documentary exclusively on Rochester BBSs and never mention one that I actually called. And frankly, I couldn't care less about BBSs that I didn't actually call.

Blah blah blah. I'm just stunned that anyone on the PLANET has the nuts to charge $50 for a BBS documentary. Just a few bucks more and you can buy Carl Sagan's Cosmos.
KtS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to shit on someone's dream, walrustitty. Prime example of "the Rochester attitude".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/reviews

FILM THREAT SAYS....

"A truly fascinating documentary about an increasingly obscure and obsolete technology. Prior to watching "BBS The Documentary" I had never heard of Bulletin Board Systems, let alone participated in that culture, yet by the end of this epic doc, I found myself longing for the BBS days, back before the Internet consumed and dominated the world."

WIRED SAYS....

"Anyone nostalgic for those halcyon days can now thank digital archivist and filmmaker Jason Scott for BBS: The Documentary, a five-and-a-half-hour paean to the era when computers were named Stacy and Lisa, and tech loyalists fought bitter battles over the superiority of Ataris to Amigas."

TOM'S HARDWARE SAYS....

"For those of you who fondly remember the BBS era, this video is a must-have and recommended viewing. It is entertaining, it is informative, and it is exceptionally well done. For those of you too young to remember, it is a trip back in time to a part of our computing history that is well worth exploring."

CURRENTFILM.COM SAYS....

"BBS" offers an incredibly engrossing look at the rise and fall of the BBS community, culture and business through the eyes of over 200 fascinating and varied participants. It's marvelously done, with excellent camerawork and editing for a documentary that was essentially built from scratch. The DVD edition is terrific, offering a lot of supplemental features and fine audio/video quality."

JQW SAYS....

"Yes, I'm sure people are appreciating fancy packing. ALL THREE OF THEM that'll pay $50. That's why I was suggesting that you'd do all the work yourself. A three-disc dual-layer doco on BBSs? You might as well make the biggest ball of twine....The problem is that the basic idea is flawed. You either end up with an unwatchable VH1-style montage of people saying "oh yeah, I remember that, that was great" (see their "we love the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc" shows)... or you end up talking to a couple people who no one ever heard of from outside that area."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last image, and then I'm probably not going to jump in and harass this poor board (I've gotten some nice e-mails and phone calls, thanks):

Each one is a $50 order for the documentary.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JQW is one of those people who hates things that he himself did not discover. Case in point. He owns a "Baby Pac-Man" arcade game. Pac-Man plus pinball. Takes up about three rooms in size. He found this on his own, he's a big fan.

Last week I bought a Xenophobe cab. He can't wrap his brain around it. Even though it's smaller, more practical and a better game than BPM. Difference is, he did not "discover" Xenophobe like this.

Same thing here. There are certain people you can't introduce anything to.

I had one last question, Jason!! What is your next documentary about?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

http://www.getlamp.com

You'll be contacted about it.
Jack Straw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah - all the talk of packages and I forgot that (in 2 days) I recieved the ND pack. Thanks, mang. I feel empowered that, together, we have successfully defeated the evil megaconglomerate known as Paypal, Inc.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

http://www.getlamp.com

You'll be contacted about it.

That is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
Lex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in giggle mode. That must have been like opening the Christmas present and finding Narnia inside. What was it like, when you clicked that link?
Jethro Q. Walrustitty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, a bunch of reviews from people who got comp'ed copies?

REAL FUCKING IMPRESSED.
Lex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, JQW, consider shutting the fuck up. I'm sure you're a great guy in person, but over 4 years it's become clear to me that you hate people on the Internet not being you.

How about you let someone else achieve something without whining about it? Go back and enjoy the 20 hits a day Groucho gets while this man becomes rich and famous by actually doing something.

Last edited by Lex on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jethro Q. Walrustitty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now $40.

You folks buying this can show your appreciation by splitting the difference - keep $5 and donate $5 in my name to charity. You're welcome! See, it pays to Buddhist the guy down a little.
Jethro Q. Walrustitty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final note:

To be fair, my initial rant was under the assumption that this was a one single-layer DVD. Being three dual-layers, I can slightly more understand the price, and dropping it to $40 brings it into what I would consider a somewhat fair price. And it does appear to have some good reviews. (Although the comedy is that on Amazon, after looking at it, most people instead buy "Why Dogs Smile and Chimpanzees Cry DVD.") So huzzah and all that shit.

Still, I don't see the appeal in nostalgia docos. I was there, I don't need to see hours of footage about it. I also deliberately avoided certain things and any moment of my life reading/watching/hearing about "FidoNet" is a moment that I consider lost.

Gimme a documentary about something that I DON'T know about. That's why I like Errol Morris and Werner Herzog documentaries.
Worm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the thing like the creator suggested, and I really like it. Unless you're buying all generic food, clipping coupons, and reusing every single container as something to drink out of; you have no right to bitch about something consisting of multiple DVDs costing fifty dollars. Think about it shit head. Where's he going to make back that money, by buying his own manufacturing plant? What's next, requesting his general ledger so your horribly specific sense of consumer morality?

Download it or go die. There is a point where you stop caring what something costs because YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MOTHERFUCKING PAY FOR IT!

He's not going to end up on Pirate Bay's legal threat section. He's not going to charge you an extra ten bucks for the piracy protection on his DVDs. He's not going to care if you download the thing. So my question, the question on the fingers of all the fine denizens of Jolt Country, is: Why are you a piece of shit Jethro?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum