FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Hey Robb!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinback

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Hey Robb! Reply with quote

How comes you ain't up in this?

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Robb! Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
How comes you ain't up in this?

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/

Because there's no way to include everyone and, probably, outside of the city of Rochester, NY and maybe Syracuse, nobody ever heard of my BBS. Which was awesome.

But that's the thing, while I will say that the original Jolt Country BBS could go toe-to-toe with ANY other message-dominated BBS of its era... I, well, I lived in a place about as small as you can get and still show up on maps of the U.S.

Oh, wait, you aren't really asking, you're just being a condescending dick-in-the-pants.

Oh, well. This BBS that we're currently on is probably better than the dial-up board anyway.
AArdvark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, because you don't have to wait for the line to be open.

THE
ONE AT A TIME
AARDVARK
nessman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's spend $50 for that?
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presumed the BBS Documentary would be free.

Asking $50 for it -- yeah, but no. Jesus. I know that everyone who ran a dial-up BBS is now fabulously wealthy (or at least should be -- if you knew how to configure a fossil driver you should be making at minimum $60,000 a year by now) but it's still fifty dollars.
jscott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

Asking $50 for it -- yeah, but no. Jesus. I know that everyone who ran a dial-up BBS is now fabulously wealthy (or at least should be -- if you knew how to configure a fossil driver you should be making at minimum $60,000 a year by now) but it's still fifty dollars.

Hi, Jason Scott, BBS Documentary director here.

The ordering page goes into more details, but $50 gives you a three-DVD set, custom packaging, and over 8 hours of material. It took me about 4 years to make this film (June, 2001 - May, 2005) and I interviewed over 250 people and travelled thousands of miles to do it. There was also 8 months of editing to get all the episodes into good shape.

Personally, I think that's a good price.

However, I realize for some people there's just no spending money on media anymore, so I released the whole thing Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, and so there's been a lot of bittorrenting and downloading and sharing of the film's episodes between people, so they could see the history.

The quote about me not covering you or your BBS specifically is on target; I tracked over 102,000 BBSes and growing, and so the documentary is less about specific BBSes than about the experience of being on them, running them, and living through them.

Feel free to download them from out there, and if you really like it, maybe you'll want to pay the $50.

- Jason
Knuckles the CLown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when you turds start whining about something and somebody outside your little nest of unreality pops in to show just what a bunch of simps you are.
JSCOTT spent (wasted) 4 years of his life on glorifying some demented subculture you all owe your lives to, and all he asks is $50. THERE's a guy you should PAYPAL $50 to for celebrating the only thing that has consistently got your hands out of the cheetoes bags in the last 20 years.

This reminds me of the end of Lord Of the Flies when the kids are all trying to kill and rape each other and the marine says "What are you boys doing?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSCOTT spent (wasted) 4 years of his life on glorifying some demented subculture you all owe your lives to

Oh, it wasn't as bad as all that. I got to travel to states I'd only heard about, sit in some wonderful homes, drive around for days, meet amazing folks, and relive some of my own childhood meeting the people who made the stuff some of my childhood involved. I mean, I got an hour with Vinton Cerf, who co-created TCP/IP. Great stuff.

I think the "I expect it to be free" comment is the most interesting; he must not make much money on his work at all![/i]
Lex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He makes text adventures.

You're right. I suspect 8 people bought his last one.

And I'm one of them, because I starred in it.

I think I will buy your E-Documentary. It is a culture I missed out on by a few years, the same way Robb's bitter about the homemade games revolution being a few years too early. It's something pre-Amiga I'd like to experience.

Robb: that's like 27 quid. That's less than a Family Guy series set over here. Suck it up.

Edit: Well, it did get a great Underdogs review, so I guess I'm wrong.

Edit edit: Damn, that's a really nice box. You know what people want from their DVDs, Mr. Scott. That's a convincer right there.

You say want only American customers to use Paypal? As a Brit I should use Kagi?

Last edited by Lex on Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Worm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
Robb: that's like 27 quid. That's less than a Family Guy series set over here. Suck it up.

I don't buy any of this stuff. I think I bought one of the Bubblegum Crisis DVD sets because it was marked down from 70 to 19.99 and I was 14 years old. DVDs, almost ALL DVDs are way to expensive.
Knuckles the CLown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscott wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:

Hi, Jason Scott, BBS Documentary director here.

The ordering page goes into more details, but $50 gives you a three-DVD set, custom packaging, and over 8 hours of material. It took me about 4 years to make this film (June, 2001 - May, 2005) and I interviewed over 250 people and travelled thousands of miles to do it. There was also 8 months of editing to get all the episodes into good shape.

Personally, I think that's a good price.

However, I realize for some people there's just no spending money on media anymore, so I released the whole thing Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, and so there's been a lot of bittorrenting and downloading and sharing of the film's episodes between people, so they could see the history.

The quote about me not covering you or your BBS specifically is on target; I tracked over 102,000 BBSes and growing, and so the documentary is less about specific BBSes than about the experience of being on them, running them, and living through them.

Feel free to download them from out there, and if you really like it, maybe you'll want to pay the $50.

- Jason

If you made a documentary on Hero Cliks he would pay $100.
Worm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscott wrote:

- Jason

Hey, we're bitching about the only "indie" guy in documentaries, so far, who approves the warezing of his hard work? Uh, what the fuck is wrong with us?

Sorry, I missed this before. With Tom Fulp dumping 1.3 million into and independent game and the makers of Darwinia(A non-game) charging 39.99. It's easy to become jaded and forget some people, somewhere on the Internet, share the same pure vision of a Information Superhighway somehow disimilar to the consumerism of the real world.

Knux raises a good point. What exactly is your heroclix budget at mister standards?
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know that this guy's next documentary is supposed to be about text games, right?

I never did the BBS thing myself other than sitting at a friend's house and watching him catch up on messages before heading on to downloading C64 games, but I'd like to see it, too.
ChainGangGuy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out, it's Roody_Yogurt!
Roody_Yogurt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I sometimes like to post just to fuck people's shit up. I'm the joltcountry ninja.
Lex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all read this thread again while listening to King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Lysander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Scott's Abdulla Ablongada wrote:
YOU ARE ALL ASSHOLES. :evil:

Adrian Belew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
Let's all read this thread again while listening to King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man.

:mrgreen:
Knuckles the CLown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lysander wrote:
Jason Scott's Abdulla Ablongada wrote:
YOU ARE ALL ASSHOLES. :evil:

Wasn't that one of the hijackers on 9/11
Lex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did we become FYAD?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum