FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Cactus Flack's II: The Flackening
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Cactus Flack's II: The Flackening Reply with quote

I think there's a bunch of people here who want to know, Flack : which games did you decide to keep? And why?

A question from the gallery, as well.

Hi Flack! Longtime listener, first time caller. I recently read your blog post about the game 720 Degrees. Is the reason it is gonna stay in the garage because you lack friends with the MIGHT to move it up? Because I'd like to offer my services next time I am in town. I'm a fooking T-Rex!!
-- Robbie T-Rex, Colorado

I will follow this up by talking about how secure my games are or are not as I anticipate a future move.
Flack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!

I actually started writing a (surprise) lengthy response to this that, in hindsight, didn't answer the question. I'll save it for another day (or a sequel to Invading Spaces).

To decide what stayed and what went, first you have to know what all I had:

Bucky O'Hare
Buster Bros
Centipede
Commando
Heavy Barrel
Karate Champ
MAME (Cactus Flack's)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Neo Geo MVS
Rampage World Tour
Rampart
Road Riot 4WD
RoadBlasters
RoboCop (1)
Shinobi (1)
Shinobi (2)
Speed Buggy
Super Off Road
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
X-Men (4-Player)

Now, one thing I have always admitted to is having a pretty high tolerance for variances in audio and video, specifically when dealing with emulation. There are some games on the 48-in-1 that some people claim are "nearly unplayable" that seem just fine to me. For some reason my acceptance threshold is lower than many other people's. For example the versions of Donkey Kong and Galaga on the 48-in-1 are just fine to me. I don't think they're 100% accurate, but they're good enough to placate me.

I'm also okay with playing stuff in MAME, as long as the controllers make sense. 720 will never, ever feel right with anything other than the original controller, and since there's no other game that ever used that controller, if you want to play 720 the way it was meant to be played, you have to own a 720 cabinet. That's just the way that one is. But suff like, oh, Bucky O'Hare. Bucky O'Hare was a conversion kit. There's nothing unique about the cabinet, and with a joystick and 3 buttons, it's easily played in MAME. So anything like that went directly toward the virtual chopping block.

Another deciding factor was, is it sellable? My Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 cabinet is dedicated, with a great looking monitor, great looking side art, great joysticks and great buttons. That's something I could sell tomorrow and not have to do a thing to. Compare that to my Mortal Kombat 1 cabinet. First of all, it's in an Atari Gravitron cabinet. Also the monitor is dead, so I pulled all the parts out of it and put them in a box, which I then helpfully labelled "Mortal Kombat Parts". I installed a second monitor which was in worse shape than the first before shelving that project. That thing is going to take a lot of work before I can sell it.

Two other factors. The first was scarcity. Bringing up 720 again ... 720 went on my list of "must own" games back in 1994. I found one in 2009, fifteen years later. Contrast that to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The day I bought that one at auction, there were five others just like it for sale. If I find that not being able to perform Raiden's lightning attack at will leaves a hole in my heart, I'm sure I can track down another UMK3 machine in days or weeks. 720 on the other hand, I put too much time and effort into tracking that one down. No can do.

The second factor was enjoyability. This one was more than than just how much do I like playing the game -- it's also, how much do I like "owning" the game. It's a subtle difference, but take for example my Karate Champ. It's an okay game that I like playing from time to time, but the fact that I tracked down THE ACTUAL CABINET THAT I USED TO PLAY AS A KID means a lot to me. So, there's that.

The last variable was, where am I going to put all of these games in the new house? I have two spots in the house that look like they were meant to hold an arcade game. Both of them are upstairs. That flat out rules 720 out (sorry, T-Rex). What that does include would be a 48-in-1 or a nice MAME cabinet.

So after all those factors, the list kind of shaped up like this:

[Keepers]

48-in-1
Karate Champ
MAME (Cactus Flack's)
Speed Buggy/Buggy Boy

[Sellers]

Bucky O'Hare
Centipede
Commando
Heavy Barrel
Rampart
RoadBlasters
RoboCop (1)
Shinobi (1)
Shinobi (2)
Super Off Road
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
X-Men (4-Player)

[DOA/need work]

Buster Bros (PCB died)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (dead 25")
Mortal Kombat (basket case)
Neo Geo MVS (dead 25")
Rampage World Tour (dead 25")
Road Riot 4WD (dim monitor, PCB issues)

That's originally how things shook out, anyway. The more I think about it, I don't won't need both a 48-in-1 and a MAME cabinet; eventually I'll just build a nice MAME cabinet and do away with the multicade boards.

Believe it or not, the Karate Champ (which has sentimental value, but needs work) is negotiable. Buggy Boy is a good game but not great. The thing about it is, it's super hard to find, and for years was not playable in MAME. I would like to keep "a" driving game, but they're SO heavy and it's just not super great. The Super Off Road is another really good games that's fun but huge. It's the 3 player one with 3 steering wheels. It's a blast when you have 3 people over but ... eh.
Flack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is selling them going, you might ask? Well, I'll tell you.

I put Ms. Pac-Man up on Facebook for $350 and within 10 minutes I had 2 firm offers for it. I ended up selling it to a guy I originally met at OVGE in Tulsa. He lives 10 miles away from me so I even delivered it to him.

"This is going to be easy," I thought.

Next I put up three games: X-Men, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Rampart. I chose these three because they are all working 100%. Selling these would free up some room in my garage so I can start working on other projects. So let's see ...

X-Men: I checked eBay and there are 2 of these with BIN for $600 and 650, and one for $1,750. I decided to put mine up for $400. Within 10 minutes I had someone PM me and say, "I want it." Over the next 2 days I had 5 other people contact me, all of whom were wanting it for Christmas. "Sorry, it's sold." This was last Sunday. The guy told me he could pick it up on Thursday. For three days, the guy asked me a dozen questions about it. How heavy is it? How hard is to move? Can you take some more pictures of it? What condition is the side art? Then on Thursday, an hour before I'm supposed to meet him, the guy tells me that he wasn't able to raise enough funds to buy the game, but maybe we could work out a deal if I was willing to drop the price. He's sent me 2 more messages today, asking if I can meet him to let him look at the game. The best part of this deal is, the game is over at my storage unit which doesn't have electricity, so to show it to the guy I spent time loading all my tools, an extension cord, a power adapter, and other stuff into my truck, and then made arrangements for someone else to pick up my kids after work so they wouldn't be running around the storage unit for half an hour while I'm trying to show this guy a game. Needless to say I'm not thrilled about the guy cancelling and then trying to get me to lower the price. And I'm sure none of the other sellers will be looking to come pick up an arcade games on Christmas Eve so ... yeah, this deal's screwed. I'll find another way to sell it.

I should throw this out there -- between Pawn Stars and American Pickers and Storage Wars, everybody thinks they're going to come haggle a price and get a good deal. So that's definitely a lesson learned. I will be adding $100 to all of my prices so that I can come down $100 when people come over to look at them. /eyeroll.

On UMK3, the best deal I got is from a women who works at my kid's daycare, who says she can pick it up Saturday and pay half now and half in two weeks. I was asking $300 so worst case scenario, she pays me $150 now and stiffs me on the other half. If that happens, I bought back about 10 square feet of my garage for $150, which sounds good to me.

On Rampart, which I was asking $200 for, I didn't get a single message.

The deal of the week so far has been MVS carts. I don't remember what I paid for most of them but it wasn't much. I sold them in two lots totaling $250, and then paid $30 total in shipping. The profits from that sale alone will pay for the storage unit for another month.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly: Is it a STRENGTH thing for 720 to go upstairs? Or an awkwardness due to stairs? Because I'm no kidding around, I am a fucking T-rex who has the strength and might to deadlift it up stairs next time I am in town, for the next OVGE most likely.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Within 10 minutes I had someone PM me and say, "I want it." Over the next 2 days I had 5 other people contact me, all of whom were wanting it for Christmas. "Sorry, it's sold." This was last Sunday. The guy told me he could pick it up on Thursday. For three days, the guy asked me a dozen questions about it. How heavy is it? How hard is to move? Can you take some more pictures of it? What condition is the side art? Then on Thursday, an hour before I'm supposed to meet him, the guy tells me that he wasn't able to raise enough funds to buy the game, but maybe we could work out a deal if I was willing to drop the price. He's sent me 2 more messages today, asking if I can meet him to let him look at the game. The best part of this deal is, the game is over at my storage unit which doesn't have electricity, so to show it to the guy I spent time loading all my tools, an extension cord, a power adapter, and other stuff into my truck, and then made arrangements for someone else to pick up my kids after work so they wouldn't be running around the storage unit for half an hour while I'm trying to show this guy a game. Needless to say I'm not thrilled about the guy cancelling and then trying to get me to lower the price.

I can't STAND this shit.

When I went to sell my Q*bert PCB, I knew it was gonna be problematic. The thing worked, as in, it boots, but there's shit wrong with it stopping people from playing the game. I made that perfectly clear and wanted to sell it to someone who knew what they were doing.

First message on KLOV is from a guy in England.

Now at this point in my life it was important for me to say that the first person who responds is the first person who gets a crack at it. He declined to get it when I told him shipping was going to be $48 to England. I then went to the next guy on the list.

But honestly... from here on out, the first person who doesn't seem like they're going to make it a pain in the ass gets first contact.

God, that angers me. You know what, there's a High Speed and Black Hole on craigslist Denver right now for about $1,000. I'd love to get either one of those games. But I don't have a thousand free dollars hanging around for hobby shit like this. So I'm not going to bug the guy and then, herp derp, suddenly not have the fucking money argh ghryah AHRhgfhs.

Pisses me off.

But yes, that X-Men will sell and I'll list it on KLOV on the 26th for you if you want.
Flack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In almost a Yin and Yang relationship, while my tolerance for graphical anomalies in emulation is relatively high, my tolerance for Craigslist bullshit is relatively low.

For a while when I was listing things on Craigslist, I would list prices like this: "If you are the type of person that likes to haggle, I am asking $400. If you are the type of person that doesn't like haggling, the price is $300." I thought this was kind a cute way of skipping all the bullshit and letting people know that the price is $300.

And believe it or not, people will come over and beat around the bush and after 10 minutes say ... "Welllllllllll, would you take $100?" Seriously?

Everybody I know around here who has had a garage sale in the past 5 years has had a similar experience. People, usually Hispanic but not always, will show up when your garage sale opens and try to buy everything for nothing. Well that's not true about "when it opens" -- usually they show up an hour or two BEFORE it opens. But anyway, for example, my wife was selling her old clothes after she lost weight. I think things were lke, oh, a buck or two each. Maybe five for the nice stuff. So these guys show up at 8am and are like, "we'll give you five bucks for everything," which would have been like $80 worth of stuff. They're just looking for stuff in bulk that they can resell, or they're looking to pay nothing. I remember I had a DVD player out there for $20 and the guy offered me fifty cents. I had to leave.

I wish I had gmail back when I tried to sell my motorcycle on craigslist so I could have saved all those crazy offers. I was asking $4k for a bike worth $5k, mostly because it needed a $200 carb job that I didn't want to pay. One e-mail I got asked me if I would take $1k, in $100 monthly dollar payments. OH YES THAT'S A GREAT DEAL CAN I LICK YOUR BUTTHOLE TOO FOR ANOTHER $100?

And REALLY, a big part of the problem is, I don't like selling stuff. I don't like the awkwardness. I absolutely hate the haggling part. I take it personal when people knock down my stuff, even when they're just doing it to try and get a better price.

Posting stuff on KLOV is starting to look like a real possibility.
Flack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLACKENING UPDATE: ULTIMATE MORTAL KOMBAT 3

I "sold" this game for $300 to a lady who works at my kid's daycare. I suppose I should be a bit concerned that a women who is responsible for keeping my kid alive 1/3 of the day is interested in a game in which you can pull people's spines out and set them on fire, but ... eh. I need the money. Actually, I don't need the money -- I need the space.

So, lady (who is very nice) and hubby (who is also very nice) show up to pay for the game. First thing I notice? They're driving a Dodge Magnum. I know the commercial shows the owner of a Magnum driving around with a surf board and a guitar amp in the back, but a 300 pound oversized Mortal Kombat machine is a different story.

So, turns out, they were just there to make a down payment on the game. They gave me $200 of the $300, and said they would pay me the other $100 in two weeks. Now to be quite honest, I am in such a bad spot for space, had they shown up with a pickup I would have gladly sold them the game for $200 and they would have left with it. Instead, and I know this is tough to complain about, I have 2/3 of the cash and still have a giant game taking up space in the garage.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnnnnngggggghh

Why are people doing this??

Who thinks that's OK??

OK, this is officially going worse than I could have imagined. Shoot. This angers and frustrates me. I feel like the Hulk without his trademark purple expando pants!
Flack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is gone! The people came and picked it up Monday!

Bad news! It appears they broke the monitor transporting it home, and now want me to fix it!

Worse news! I know the buyers, and feel obligated to assist them in some way.

Good news! I now have more material for my new book, "Reclaiming Spaces!", the sequel to my (not so) popular book, "Invading Spaces!"
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ. I can't believe this shit. This is the worst of all worlds. You barely got any money, they broke the fucking thing trying to get it home, and they broke the monitor to it.

Here is my advice:

- Pull a monitor from another game, put it in there (agonizing, back-breaking work that you don't have time for, I know) and then sell the chassis on the old monitor.

Did they smash the tube? Holy fuck what a debacle. I'm sorry man. Why is it a 12 hour drive from Denver to Oklahoma? This is bullshit.
Flack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-12 hours, yeah.

I haven't looked at the game yet, so there are two possibilities. One, a video cable fell off. If that's the case I can fix it in a minute and it's free and everybody wins.

If the monitor's broken, like they broke the neck or something ... sigh. It's a 25" monitor (of course) so I think I have 3 or 4 to choose from. I'd have to say, the one in that UMK3 machine is probably the best one I own, and all of the other ones I have are in working games, so there's no real win there.

If the neck is broken I will probably give them their $300 back, take the game back, strip it, sell the parts, and try to sell the empty cabinet for chump change.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flack, you thinking of putting any of them on eBay?

Was shipping Gauntlet 2 relatively painless? Or a giant pain? I give you two choices, Admiral.
Flack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping Gauntlet II was completely painless for me. Of course if you'll remember, I had almost no part of it. You made all the arrangement. I think they called me once to verify a date and time to come by. I wasn't even home when they picked up the game, my wife was. I guess there was "the basketball goal incident" but in the end instead of making them pay for it, we sold the house and moved. Extreme, but it worked.
Flack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold five games today for $600, so today would be considered the greatest win in the Flackening so far.

The funny thing was, 3 of the 5 machines I sold were either empty cabinets or broken games. Only 2 of the 5 I sold actually worked, and neither of them were games I was expecting to sell.

So yeah, it's happening ... slowly but surely.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which games were they, buddy?
Flack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold Robocop for $150 and my poorly done 48-in-1 for $300.

I sold my empty Donkey Kong, Jr. cabinet, a completely empty and stripped Gravitar cabinet, and my non-working Rampage World Tour machine for $50/each.

Today, to a different buyer, I sold my non-working Neo Geo cabinet with the motherboard and one cartridge for $100.

So far I have a 2:1 ratio of selling broken games to working ones. Anything else that works and doesn't sell quickly is getting a hammerfist to the face.
Flack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold two more machines over the weekend -- my 4-player X-Men, and an empty JAMMA cabinet.

I have 10 machines left in the storage unit. Of those, 8 work, 2 don't.

I am operating under the assumption that a working but ugly game is worth roughly $200, give or take. I hate Craigslist, but I'm about to list some of the working ones I have there and see what happens. I've been largely avoiding eBay up until this point, but will go that route if need be. I've had the best luck with our local Oklahoma Coin-Op forum. I still haven't ventured on to KLOV yet either but I'm keeping that option open.

So far I've made $1,900, $400 of which has gone to storage fees. I'm in the black, but not by much -- then again, I would be thrilled to simply break even on this venture. My next payment is doe 2/14, and if push came to shove, I could get all 10 of those machines in my garage at this point.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ten machines do ya got left? If you give me the tally right now I'll post it on the Gas Chamber and anywhere else someone asks. Consider me the assistant here.

KLOV is sort of fucked up at the moment, at least when it comes to parting out machines. I'll post more about it later in the day.

My gal and I agreed that 15 is a nice round number for me to have. (We're starting to get serious about getting a house together, otherwise neither her nor I would give a crap.)
Flack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I check eBay and the last two Bucky O'Hare PCBs that sold went for $180 and $200. I was only going to ask $200 for the game itself before the cabinet got water damaged. The monitor works okay, so I'm going to pull the monitor, pull the other parts, and sell the PCB. I now have access to a dumpster so all I need now is (sniff) a sledgehammer.

Somehow I've ended up with a dozen or so marquees. I think I'll be keeping most of them, just need a cool way or place to display them.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the games you have left?

1. 720
2. Bucky O'Hare
3. Buster Bros
4. Centipede
4. Commando
5. Heavy Barrel
6. Karate Champ
7. Road Riot
8. Road Blasters
9. Speed Buggy
10. Super Off Road

Wait. I went here to cheat. http://www.robohara.com/arcade/index_games.php \

Are you updating that in more or less real-time???
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum