FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Log in Log in

The Top 100 Games of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hygraed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 711

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hrp.duke4.net/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ice Cream Jonsey



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 20088
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hygraed wrote:
http://hygraed.googlepages.com/top100games.html

edit: SHIT you put up a new jpg FUCK


Ah, pants, it looks like that image map is down. You don't happen to have a backup copy I can host locally, do you?
_________________
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hygraed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 711

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry about that. I changed some settings and apparently hid the whole site by mistake. It should be back up now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I just bought and spent several hours playing the 2004 version of "Sid Meier's Pirates!" This prompts me to ask you (Ice Cream Sherwin) a question:

Hey. How comes there's no Pirates on that list?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souffle of Pain wrote:

As far as I am concerned if the list doesn't include:

1) Far Cry
2) Mr. Do!'s Wild Ride
3) Pirates!

It's not worth doing.


Yeah. Hey Robb? Why ain't there no Pirates on the list?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how come Pirates isn't on the list?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Pirates?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jack Straw



Joined: 01 May 2002
Posts: 1578
Location: R.O.C.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ice Cream Jonsey



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 20088
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we still be friends if I tell you I've never played it?

There was a hole in my rankings! That hole contained Pirates!. When I got my Atari 800 running, I was looking forward to playing the original version. But they never made it for the 8-bit. They didn't make a lot of fuckin' games for the 8-bit.

Where would you say it belongs on this list? What did you like about it?
_________________
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never played it either, before last night. So I will say, tentatively, that we can still be friends.

Of course, with only three hours of playtime under my belt, who am I to say where it belongs in such an esteemed list as yours? However, since this place is gone in just over two weeks anyway, what harm could it do?

I would say, in YOUR list, which takes into account your personal tastes and biases, it belongs at spot #15. Here's how I got to this ranking:

1. It is definitely better than Katamari (and I very much enjoy Katamari), so it's at least 27.

2. It cannot be higher than a Civilization game, so that narrows it down to 11-27.

3. You nerds really like your Ultimas, and I even remember them being excellent, so I'll reduce the range from 15-27.

4. I know you love you some Mr. Do!, but I just don't get it, so that brings us down to 15-23.

5. One challenger is Warcraft 2, but I will never forgive you for thinking WC2 is anywhere close to being as good as WC3 (because it isn't), so now we're at 15-22.

6. The only remaining challenger that I know or care much about in that range is Half-Life. Both games are exemplary representatives of their genres. Both have repetitive elements (Pirates: swordfighting, HL: boxes & barrels.) HL wins the prize for being more revolutionary, and providing a more memorable (as in, you can remember specific events) gaming experience. However, if you had to choose one for the rest of your life, HL cannot match Pirates' replayability, and stress-free fun factor. So I come down on the Pirates side, but could hear other arguments.

So I guess I either rank it 15, or 21, depending on whether you think it beats Half-Life or not.

On MY list, with MY tastes, I am guessing that I will end up ranking it #3 or #2. But I am just in the first blush of a honeymoon with the game, so time will tell if I find greaters flaws or get bored or start to hate everything.

Quote:
What did you like about it?


It is a trading/adventure game, on sailing ships, in the Caribbean. That right there puts it in my top 10 before one line of code is written. But on top of that, it is, along with Civilization, the most addictive game in history, because there's always something to do next. There's always lots to do next, in fact, and each thing is usually not too far away, so there's no point where you go, "Okay, we've had fun, but this is a good stopping place." There are no good stopping places. There is never a reason to stop playing. It's a wild, wonderful world out there and you can go anywhere and do anything, and it's all fun.

If I have quibbles, it's with the swordfighting/dancing minigames, which all sort of play out the same, and amount to glorified Parappa the Rapper levels, but I only quibble with it when I'm not actively doing it. When you're doing it -- when you're doing ANYTHING in this game -- you are having FUN, whether you realize it or not.

The ultimate "whole is greater than the sum" game. You point to any one element of the game, and nothing is going to jump out at you and say "wow, this is completely brilliant!" But after you look up and 3 hours have passed by in 5 minutes and you start to consider getting a job closer to home so you can spend more time at the game, that is the time to sit back, take a 30,000 foot view, and say, wow, this is completely brilliant.
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robb, how about Pirates, why isn't that on the list?
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ice Cream Jonsey



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 20088
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
Hey Robb, how about Pirates, why isn't that on the list?


I bankrupted myself this month, okay? Okay? I don't have the thirty bucks Gabe Steam wants for it. Maybe I could sell some plasma, marrow or semen to get the funds, what's the difference (except that one of the three that comes out of my body isn't delicious)?

I FUCKING BANKRUPTED MYSELF FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH. And my third favorite holiday, St. Patrick's Day, is on Monday. I'm gonna have a dry St. Patrick's Day, you smug son of a bitch.

On the other hand, the monitor I bankrupted myself for is minty fresh. I don't think you could ever get sick of that much Pac!

So that's why I didn't play any Pirates! tonight, and won't tomorrow. Because I handle my financial affairs like a fourteen year old trying to sneak-drink a liter of his father's sloe gin.
_________________
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ice Cream Jonsey



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 20088
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
I had never played it either, before last night. So I will say, tentatively, that we can still be friends.


Whew!


Quote:
Of course, with only three hours of playtime under my belt, who am I to say where it belongs in such an esteemed list as yours? However, since this place is gone in just over two weeks anyway, what harm could it do?


It couldn't do any harm. The Top 100 Games of All-Time After the First Three Hours would be an excellent list. Here are some quick contributions:

- Unreal

- Black and White (this was what instantly sprung into hygraed's mind, I would predict, because he knows his shit and this is pretty much the eponymous of that thread title)

- Xenophobe



Quote:
3. You nerds really like your Ultimas, and I even remember them being excellent, so I'll reduce the range from 15-27.


Hooray! Yeah, them Ultimas. You know what I was gonna do this winter? Solve Ultima 4 on the Atari 800. You know how far I got? This website post.


Quote:
4. I know you love you some Mr. Do!, but I just don't get it, so that brings us down to 15-23.


I understand.


Quote:
6. The only remaining challenger that I know or care much about in that range is Half-Life.


I swear to you Freespace II is one of the most amazing games ever. I honestly promise you that. You react very poorly to people telling you you have to do stuff. So if you ever want to, if you ever feel adventurous, if you ever feel like maybe going a little farther than you ever have before, you call me. Do you hear? You call me, Benjarmin, and we will ride into Freespace together. Well, Freespace II. And you'll need like a $150 flight stick.


Quote:
HL cannot match Pirates' replayability, and stress-free fun factor. So I come down on the Pirates side, but could hear other arguments.


I am very much looking forward to it now. Steam will be the method I ultimately use to have both games on my computer. And yet, I was treated like dogshit when I attempted to get info on the Steamworks project they have. Some people look at the software they have, and they go, "Christ, fucking why?" I look at software that never was and go, "Why not?"


Quote:
On MY list, with MY tastes, I am guessing that I will end up ranking it #3 or #2. But I am just in the first blush of a honeymoon with the game, so time will tell if I find greaters flaws or get bored or start to hate everything.


That's a pretty good recommendation.

I should update that list I made.

Or do games 200-101.
_________________
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hygraed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 711

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Black & White would be an excellent contender for the "Worst Games of All Time After Three Hours" list. It's really cool at first, making your giant animal pet eat people and then shit on their houses, but the novelty wears off awfully quick and it becomes incredibly boring and tedious.

However, Freespace 2 and Sid Meier's Pirates! are both awesome. I actually prefer the remake of Pirates!, due to the streamlining of the gameplay and the awesome fencing animations.

You know what else I would put on the list? Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I posted a thread here a while back outlining everything I disliked about San Andreas, ultimately terming it "actually not that good." I have to rescind that statement, however, because while all of the GTA games have their fair share of flaws (more than their fair share, some would say), they're incredibly expansive and so much fucking fun. San Andreas is the best of the bunch, to be sure, due to the inclusion of swimming, mantling, multiple cities and a huge fuckoff mountain, shooting that doesn't suck, and cars that don't feel like they weigh 100 pounds and have wheels made out of soap. There's an immense amount of things to do in San Andreas, and the player is by no means required to complete all of them. I fucking hate the Ambulance missions and I don't anticipate ever doing them, but god damn if the taxi missions aren't ridiculously fun for some reason. Maybe because it's like Crazy Taxi with vehicular homicide.

So, yeah. I'm all for Pirates! and GTA San Andreas (also Deus Ex because by god you had better play that) going on the list. In addition, I don't know what your policy on sequels is, but the omission of Wizardry 8 leads me to believe you haven't played it.

On the subject of sequels, Max Payne 2 simply takes everything awesome about the original Max Payne and multiplies it by several orders of magnitude. There are also no stupid fucking retarded idiot shit baby blood levels, so that's several points in its favor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hygraed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 711

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good golly I wrote an essay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ice Cream Jonsey



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 20088
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hygraed wrote:
Actually, Black & White would be an excellent contender for the "Worst Games of All Time After Three Hours" list. It's really cool at first, making your giant animal pet eat people and then shit on their houses, but the novelty wears off awfully quick and it becomes incredibly boring and tedious.


Oh no! This is what I meant! You're right in that it was less than three hours to discover how bad it was. Although there was at least one obnoxious, unskippable song skit at the beginning that felt like it was two hours and forty-five minutes in length. Man, I wish we could have flung that guy in that skit into the ocean.

(Maybe you can. I can't remember. I shipped my copy of Black and White and several other disappointing games to a guy through eBay, through media mail. It never arrived. Somewhere in a government building is the lost ark of the covenant and my copy of Black & White. I'm shaking my fist!)


Quote:
However, Freespace 2 and Sid Meier's Pirates! are both awesome. I actually prefer the remake of Pirates!, due to the streamlining of the gameplay and the awesome fencing animations.


This is good, because the 8-bit didn't get Pirates! made for it, it got a mouthful of balls instead.

Here's the list of all games with "pirate" in the title, according to the Atari 800 Disk Image Archive:

Adventure 02 Pirate Adventure [GV] A.atr
Adventure 02 Pirate Adventure [GV] B.atr
Adventure 02 Pirate Adventure [TV].atr
Cosmic Pirate [cht].atr
Cosmic Pirate.atr
Pirates Cove.atr
Pirates Of The Barbary Coast A.atr
Pirates Of The Barbary Coast B.atr
Pirates Of The Barbary Coast [pl] A.atr
Pirates Of The Barbary Coast [pl] B.atr
The Pirate!! Pinball.atr

What a crock of shit. The 800 really did get screwed. We shall exact full recompense, Mangar! (How much better would it be if there were a poster on this BBS named Mangar. His experience here would be one strained threat followed by another.)


Quote:
You know what else I would put on the list? Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I posted a thread here a while back outlining everything I disliked about San Andreas, ultimately terming it "actually not that good."


I was with you there. Actually, it wasn't that I hated it - although I hated the fact that those smug motherfuckers called their game "Grand Theft Auto" and started you out on a goddamn bike - it was that I didn't feel that the designers gave a shit about making the missions any better, and I knew I could wait five years to see if they did. Part of me says, "You know, if they made four Skate or Die games they eventually would have started you off on a hackey sack," but part of me rejects that.

So I sold it (GTA:SA) on eBay while it still had value. That was like the one successful eBay transaction I've ever ultimately had. It's like I have five stories in life, and the Successful eBay Transaction of 2004 is one of them. So it gets pulled out all the time. Thank you for that.


Quote:
San Andreas is the best of the bunch, to be sure, due to the inclusion of swimming, mantling,


What is mantling? It's either having sex with women and putting a stolen keepsake of the encounter up on the mantle, or fighting a manta ray. Either way, I didn't know you could do that in GTA:SA.


Quote:
I fucking hate the Ambulance missions and I don't anticipate ever doing them, but god damn if the taxi missions aren't ridiculously fun for some reason. Maybe because it's like Crazy Taxi with vehicular homicide.


I would have loved to have had a small web camera on the face of the Crazy Taxi designer the first time he started up Grand Theft Auto 3. Rockstar should have just presented GTA3 to the guy with a handcrafted ceremonial seppuku sabre so he could do to himself what they did to his career.

(Actually, for all I know the guy was getting physically sick of doing taxi games and all things involving taxis, therefore making him me.)


Quote:
I don't know what your policy on sequels is, but the omission of Wizardry 8 leads me to believe you haven't played it.


I think I was lumping all sequels together into a delicious broth, but I only wrote about the one I had enjoyed the most. Wizardry 8 is cool, but I didn't have the speed-up thing when I first played it. Before the speed-up thing, Sir Tech was cross-marketing Wizardry 8 with Norelco because of the long white beard you haw haaaaaa rrrrrr


Quote:
On the subject of sequels, Max Payne 2 simply takes everything awesome about the original Max Payne and multiplies it by several orders of magnitude. There are also no stupid fucking retarded idiot shit baby blood levels, so that's several points in its favor.


In retrospect, I would agree with you that Max Payne 2 is probably the better game. If you woke up tomorrow completely ignorant of the Max Payne series - like if you were my dad or mom or any other Sherwin that has ever walked the Earth except for me and my brother or something - I would imagine that I would set this person in front of MP2 and not MP1. But! BUT! I think you could play MP2 and still enjoy MP1. Some sequels wipe out any possibility of enjoying the earlier games, like how the Highlander films tried to do, but in reverse.
_________________
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hygraed



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 711

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantling is when you jump at something, grab onto the top edge, and pull yourself up. I tried it once and I guess I did it wrong because it really hurt :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pinback



Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 12029

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates also gets a nod as being probably the only major commercially-released game in the last (x) years where the preferred user interface is keyboard-only.
_________________
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AArdvark



Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 6052
Location: Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird because so many of the topics here pertain to me. I had never, NEVER heard of Max Paine until someone accidentally made an extra copy and gave me one. This puts me in the same category as:
Quote:
If you woke up tomorrow completely ignorant of the Max Payne series
.
So I played it almost halfway through. I found that the game made me depressed. Maybe it was all the persistent night rain. Maybe the slow motion rag-doll effect as selected cleaners get blown away. Maybe the creepy, Pink Floyd-esque dream sections. I dunno, but the more I played, the less I liked it until I just had to remove it from my machine or go insane and visit a college campus with an armload of automatic weapons. This has never happened with Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Pirates! is indeed one of my favorites. There is a threshold of newness to the game however. After your fifteenth million broadside attack, your sixteenth million swordfight and your seventeenth million dance (of which I will NEVER be considered the Arthur Murray of swashbuckling) You tend to get jaded of the game. The quests are pretty cool though and the town attack is one of the highlights of the game. They managed to get a pretty simple but involving turn-based minigame included where it was really needed. In the past town attack was kind of a free-for-all which you could never hope to succeed, now matter how many groups of angry pirates you had under your control.
I always keep my parties of freebooters too long and they desert me. Then I manage to kill off most of them so when the plunder is divided up everyone (except me) get a huge share and my fame goes up. The first time I played the 2004 version I was up half the night and could not focus on work the next day as I was busily planning my strategy for when I arrived home that evening. Truly the mark of a good game.

GTA:SA = N/T

Still play Mafia, though. Just drive around and cause trouble. Loads of fun

THE
BANGER
AARDVARK


Link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 40 of 42

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group

Theme by Kage Musha - RPG Garden

Copyrights and trademarks are all of the belonging company. No copyright Infringement intended