FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

The Top 100 Games of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
(Or even better, you'll automatically exclude games which you'd ordinarily include only because you got hot horny emails which you jerked off to because of it.)

Yeah, no. You -- I don't mean to be a dick -- you have no appreciation or understanding of gameplay You really, honestly don't. What was it you said yesterday? Where is Flight Simulator in the list?

The very fact that you were surprised that a game which so completely replicated flying an airplane that you can get real-world experience for it ... I gotta use italics again because this is flying an airplane we're talking about and still the game maps so well to real life that you get CREDIT for it -- and are essentially arguing against a game which isn't a fighter, shooter, side-scroller, RPG and so on and so forth but still more entertaining than all but 98 of them... well, that's why you're going to be very angry in this thread.

If Boon-ga Boon-ga was about slapping a girl on the ass instead of trying to give her non-existing prostate a massage it would be on this list as well. You, on the other hand, would not only refuse to consider it because it doesn't fit into your small-minded idea of genre, but be angry that time spent thinking about it wasn't better spent obsessing about making ASCII characters with fake Russian accents and a moptop fire ASCII phasers properly. Good Sair.
pinback

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell you stories about FS2K2 which would change your perception of reality.

I look forward to hearing about how a door game can change your perception of reality, past the reality of spooging all over your keyboard.
pinback

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
angry that time spent thinking about it wasn't better spent obsessing about making ASCII characters with fake Russian accents and a moptop fire ASCII phasers properly. Good Sair.

Also, does anybody have any idea what he's talking about here?
Jack Straw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
never read all the messages that everyone sent each other even though it purported to be a private exchange of information.

It did? I never had that illusion.
I always pictured you hovered over the BBS computer, tugging away on yourself waiting for that all familiar ring of the phone.
Jack Straw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
angry that time spent thinking about it wasn't better spent obsessing about making ASCII characters with fake Russian accents and a moptop fire ASCII phasers properly. Good Sair.

Also, does anybody have any idea what he's talking about here?

this time - no.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#98 - ALIEN VS. PREDATOR

Jaguar

This is a game that works in spite of how bad the graphics are. You can't go in thinking of it as a simple first person shooter because if you do you're missing out. What the Jag version of AvP is is a terrible jaunt into a pixelated dimension where everybody's hungry and angry... with absolutely no music whatsoever.

I can buy getting thrown into a lair where there are a bunch of aliens around and a bunch of predators around but if I am the ONE GUY who has to clean them out I at least want an iPod for the downtime. Not so with this guy. For all I know the Jaguar couldn't do the music and that's why it wasn't there, but the effect is fantastic. You really get a sense of how alone you are in this game.

In AvP you play one of three races trying to kill each other. The hardware is so lacking for this game it doesn't seem remotely real but more like being thrown into a stop-motion deathmatch. It had the strobe light effect going and it didn't even know it. The aliens and predators depicted are also a hundred times creepier to spot than the miserable version released for the PC years later.

With Project Tempest you can give it a whirl yourself. AvP is essentially hide-and-seek with the biggest and most slavering bullies you're ever going to see and it uses its weaknesses as strengths. I love games that do that. Alien vs. Predator for the Jag is the 98th best game of all time.
chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you WILL put a game on the list (AvP) for a game system that you never owned (as far as I know), but you WON'T put a game on the list (Jumpman Jr.) because it was never available for that rancid piece of shit IBM PC Jr.??? This list just lost any credibility it might have had.
Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the PC FPS of AVP has to be at least 30th right?
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
So you WILL put a game on the list (AvP) for a game system that you never owned (as far as I know), but you WON'T put a game on the list (Jumpman Jr.) because it was never available for that rancid piece of shit IBM PC Jr.??? This list just lost any credibility it might have had.

I played it at Walrustitty's house. It was fucking awesome.

The IBM PCjr was the finest gaming platform of the early PC era.

Actually, looking back I DID play/own Jumpman Jr, seeing how it's on a floppy right here. But I solved the original Jumpman and loved it.

Ben said an original shouldn't get displaced by a slightly better sequel on Yahoo chat the other day and I sort of agree with that.

Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vitriola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

And if not, WHY???

Last edited by Vitriola on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

No, because that game was absolutely terrible in all respects and was doing the low gamma level thing Doom 3 got so much abuse for years before Doom 3.

Oh!! Scary!! I can't see anything! Wow!

(And before you start in: Doom 3 is a great simulator of a haunted house. AvP for the PC is just garbage.)

If AvP for the PC got better with mods and the work of its community I applaud it. But I think you'll agree that every game I list is better than it.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I thought Ben wrote something that Chris wrote, and as a result my reply made no sense.)
pinback

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Ben said an original shouldn't get displaced by a slightly better sequel on Yahoo chat the other day and I sort of agree with that.

This is NOT what I said.

What I said was, an original shouldn't get displaced by a slightly better CLONE.

To explain:

Pac Man can surely be displaced by its own sequel.

Hell, Asteroids can be displaced by Deluxe (but should never, ever be.)

But what Asteroids SHOULDN'T be displaced by is something called "Rockaroids". Or "Meteoroids". Or "Jagged Polygonoids". Or GAY FAGOITOIDS.

Give the credit where it's due, that's all I ask.
Worm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Worm wrote:

No, because that game was absolutely terrible in all respects and was doing the low gamma level thing Doom 3 got so much abuse for years before Doom 3.

Oh!! Scary!! I can't see anything! Wow!

Yeah, you could see things with nightvision and all that shit. Though, it was more fun to play as the badguys. Don't tell me you just loaded up the Marines, played the game for a minute, and deemd it reviewed. I never loved it because it was scary. I loved it because it properly replicated being an Alien, Predator, or Marine(Getting your ass kicked).

Quote:
(And before you start in: Doom 3 is a great simulator of a haunted house. AvP for the PC is just garbage.)

Yeah, one takes HOURS to get through, costs 50 dollars, and has an obnoxious Hell level.

Quote:
If AvP for the PC got better with mods and the work of its community I applaud it. But I think you'll agree that every game I list is better than it.

I think I'm beginning to understand that you hate FPS games.
Jack Straw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a Jag for AVP and Cannon fodder.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Straw wrote:
I almost bought a Jag for AVP and Cannon fodder.

Cannon Fodder is excellent. My understanding is that those two games, along with Tempest 2000, are the only games worth playing for the system.

Obligatory funny story about Cannon Fodder.
pinback

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messages currently in this thread: 76.

Games currently posted out of the top 100: 3.

By extrapolation, number of messages in this thread by the time all 100 have been posted: 2531.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Ben. Thanks for your input.

FIVE GAMES NOT ON THE LIST.

o Half-Life 2. No fucking way, not after that install. Plus, aside from Ravenholm, which is the greatest single level I've ever played, the rest of it has been quite average. Course, I'm only up to Highway 17. But I think that's the fifth board. Five levels and only one (albeit great) one? No.

o Planescape: Torment. Everyone tells me to play this one. Well, it's right here. RIGHT HERE. Gonna be installed, at least, tonight. Which is a huge step.

o Elite. I have tried to go back to this one and the graphics are just too primitive. I can't make out what is going on. And I haven't seen a satisfying remake yet. Flatspace could have been it, if not for the laughable design decision to let you go one sector at a time through most of it.

o Operation: Flashpoint. I tried to install it the other day and it asked for my CD-Key. The CD key wasn't on the CD and it wasn't on the case. How could I have been so stupid to not keep more items?!?! Weird, Codemasters was such a great publisher, the world is truly worse off without them.

o Super Mario Brothers III. It fucking sucked.
pinback

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will TRASH be on the list?!?!
chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinback wrote:
Will TRASH be on the list?!?!

Considering that the list is limited to what's playable on a PC Jr. and other people's unpopular video game systems? Yes.

I think we should just hijack the thread and start posting our own top 100 entries.

First up, I say that "Pirates of the Barbary Coast" is a top 100 game. An early '80s offering for home computer systems, you were the captain of a ship that sailed the Barbary Coast, trading goods to earn money and fighting pirates as you sailed between ports. The cool part of this game is that you controlled 20 cannon on your ship, and had to load them manually before firing. This involved inserting a powder pack, ramming it home, inserting a cannonball, and ramming it home (you could load as many cannon as you wanted simultaneously by highlighting each gun position before going through the loading sequence). You then raised and lowered the cannon in an attempt to zero in on the enemy vessel, then you fired. You then had to race to the other cannons and try to get them ranged and fired before the ship sailed out of range. Of course, the other ship is firing back at you, and nothing sucked more than having a cannon all lined up and ready to fire, and the pirate ship destroyed it with a salvo.

I spent entirely too much time playing this game in the mid 80s on my Atari computer. It rocked, and belongs on the list.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Best of JC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 4 of 42

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum