FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Compiling with 3.1, Playing with 3.0

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryptonomic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Compiling with 3.1, Playing with 3.0 Reply with quote

I may be making an obvious statement here, but I am curious if this is intended. If you write even a simple example, like:

Code:

routine Main
{
   cls
   print "Hello, Sailor!"
   pause
   quit
}

... then compile that with the 3.1 compiler, but play it with a 3.0 engine, you will find that it does not work. This seems to be the case with anything you compile in that fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much the case with any version jump, i.e., from 2.x to 2.y or 3.x to 3.y, etc. Anything that breaks compatibility increases the minor version number. However, things compiled with the same sub-version number are generally compatible, i.e., a game compiled with 3.1.01 is playable on a 3.1.0 engine.

(The reason for this, really, is that true forward-compatibility is pretty tough if not impossible to do. Future versions add behavior, features, and functionality that previous versions have no knowledge of. It's possible to just ignore the "future" features, but that has the effect of potentially throwing a big wrench in the program-running works.)

Basically, I'm hoping that any outstanding ports will upgrade to 3.1 soon; in the interim, it's possible to compile with the '-30' switch if you need to force the ability to run on 3.0 engines. (Note that this shouldn't impair at all your ability to run on 3.1 engines.)

--Kent
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum