FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Windows compiler bug in 3.0.06

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Windows compiler bug in 3.0.06 Reply with quote

I just started back fiddling around with Hugo. I've got the latest compiler/library; I'm on WinXP.

Seems back in 2002 I had the same problem I'm having now: getting Hugo to compile through the GUI frontend. (No problems from the command line, so far.) The error is 'unable to compile Exit code = -1 (1). Yes, my path name has spaces in it as suggested by Kent's response in raif below (this dates from last year, btw)

Quote:
Is your path by chance not "c:\hugo3" but instead something with a space in
it, like "c:\Program Files\Hugo"? If that's the case, this may be due to a
bug in the compiler-launching functionality of the Windows front-end, which
I'll need to address.

--Kent

Any chance of getting this fixed?
Kent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Oops, I thought that was fixed. Can you quote the entire "Unable to compile" line, which should also include the command line it tried to use?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry:

Unable to compile using ""C:\Program Files\Hugo\hc.exe" @list=. -ls C:\Program Files\Hugo\Samples\shell.hug " - Exit code = -1 (1)
Kent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Should work Reply with quote

That's weird. It should work. I just tested it running from a folder called "Test Folder", with the space, and it worked.

Possibilities: Are you sure you have the v3.0.06 Windows front-end hcwin.exe? Is it possible you copied over the Windows compiler hc.exe with a DOS version? (That'll prevent hcwin.exe from being able to call the compiler as a subprocess.) Also, I may've somehow screwed up what I put in the archive for the released version. I'll have to test that when I get a chance; alternately, I can send you my hcwin.exe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in responding!

Well, I just did a fresh install, just in case, and installed it to the Program Files directory. Still getting the same error. (using the hugo3win32 compiler/library dated 27 July 03 from plover.net.)
Hugella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what seems to be happening in the install to c:\hugo (as opposed to the c:\program files\hugo install) is that it generates the above error whenever the .hug file is not located in the Hugo root directory. (in other words, i can't 'browse' to, say, 'c:/some directory/games/game.hug')
If game.hug isn't in c:/hugo, I get the error.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. :)
Hugella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further clarification of the above post.

The error is being generated when the source file is located in a directory with spaces in the name. (i.e c:/documents and settings/desktop/hugo.)

Compiling from a (non-c:/hugo) directory without name spaces works fine.
Hugella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this is the last comment I make on this subject, and I will have learned my lesson about doing all this testing before posting! :)

Okay. If the compiler is located in c:\program files\hugo, it does work. The error is actually being generated when you try to compile a .hug file that's located in a directory with spaces.
Kent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugella wrote:
Okay. If the compiler is located in c:\program files\hugo, it does work. The error is actually being generated when you try to compile a .hug file that's located in a directory with spaces.

Okay, I'll try to look into that, then.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add on-topic, but I did just want to chime in now that I have started programming every day or night (usually not both, I mean, hey, I'm not going to lie to my treasured denizens) and give Kent my quarterly can of HUGO PROPS. I have been toiling around in someone else's C++ code at work as of late and coming home to write Hugo is the kind of relief I normally get only by use of pins and needles from the Asian Full Body Happy Ending Massage Parlor down by the National Honey Board in Longmont, Colorado.
Kent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Aw shucks Reply with quote

Well, at least my mom would be proud.

Anyway, try this updated hcwin.exe:

http://www.plover.net/~hugo/hugobeta/hcwin.exe

to see if it fixes the problem.
Hugella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works! :)

Thanks, Kent.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum