FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

And this is probably why she had to get married (long art.)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Troll Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdarcos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: And this is probably why she had to get married (long art.) Reply with quote

If you have the Amazon Fire TV device, some games present advertisements at break points. One I kept seeing was a teaser: "she's getting married on live TV, she's back for one last hurrah, you won't believe what she's giving away this time" BUT, as a safety feature, the Amazon Fire won't follow links in advertisements.

I have the Fire TV wired via HDMI - coincidentally, it's an Amazon-branded HDMI cable - while my computer uses VGA and the monitor has a button on it to change input, so I switched back to my computer, and tried using part of that teaser.

Several years ago, the woman identified in several hits on Google had said that she had decided she was never going to get married (or was not going to get married again). So, I guess she changed her mind.

The announcement: Oprah to marry Steadman after 30 years. Also, since she's 61, it's not for the reason that a couple has to get married.

While it's not said, I think she may have realized something., Any of you remember the Supreme Court case of United States v. Windsor, where the surviving spouse in a lesbian couple was suing because the Defense of Marriage Act prohibited the IRS from recognizing the couple's marriage performed in Canada because their home state did not recognize their same-sex marriage? This meant the couple were not married as far as the IRS considered her deceased partner's will, and Windsor had to pay $200,000 in estate taxes on about a $2 million estate.

The Supreme Court struck down the provision and allowed the gift from Windsor's now recognized spouse to be passed untaxed. This was the beginning of the end of prohibitions on same sex marriages.

Now, here's the point. If a person has an estate worth more than $5 1/2 million dollars, the estate is subject to tax - with one exception - over a certain amount are taxable to the estate. The exception is gifts to your spouse, which come with an unlimited gift allowance.

Oprah is worth about a billion dollars. While Steadman isn't poor he's nowhere near that number. Anyway, if she dies, having given him everything, if they're not married, the estate tax is about 35%, after certain deductions, conceivably meaning an estate tax in excess of $300 million.

However, for her husband, she's allowed an unlimited gift allowance, including inheritance and estate taxes, and can give him everything when she dies, which is called the "unlimited marital exemption," which means no estate tax is due on death.

That's why if you want to give your boyfriend or girlfriend a chunk of cash - anything over $14,000 in one year - or a lifetime gift limit of the same $5 1/2 million in addition to the yearly exemption, you're better off getting married as there is no tax on such gifts to spouses.
The Happiness Engine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... So what does Oprah and who I'm just going to believe is Ralph Steadman have to do with your HDMI cable? Did he draw it as an adorable Gonzo Bird? Because that'd be really great.
Billy Mays

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, Paul, this is just one of many examples where YouTube would be a much more effective medium for relaying that story.

You could even then link the video in a Jolt Country topic so we can all discuss and enjoy what you created.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> The Troll Room All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum