D
E
B
A
R
«
Sprecher – Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer
July 2nd, 2008 by ChainGangGuy

As I arrived at the local watering hole this past Saturday night, I found my dear friend, my drinking colleague hunched grotesquely over the bar softly weeping into a half-empty glass of pale yellow beer. He’s not one often moved to tears, so I simply had to ask, “Why so glum?” Maintaining no more than a faint fluttering breath he nonchalantly pointed in the direction of the now warm beer. Picking up the pint glass, I asked, “Was this the beer that made you cry, cry baby?” He nodded slowly, still staring blankly at the wall behind the bar. Well! A beer that makes grown men weep. Figured I might as well see what all the fuss was about. Getting the bartender’s attention, the very same bartender who supplied me with the Short’s Bloody Bar, I put in my order. I’ll have what Weeps is having.

And the hits just keep on coming! Here’s what hit the bar this time:

BEER: Sprecher – Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Uh-oh. Another one? Yes! Another one! Fuck, that bartender’s got some axe to grind.

So, goodbye, everyone!! Once more, I’m disappearing into Tomato World.

“Unfiltered American Ale Brewed With Basil, Oregano, Tomato and Garlic.”

Created by Tom and Athena Seefurth of Campton Township, Illinois in his lifelong pursuit to combine two of the world’s great loves, pizza and beer. Some say it’s the best pizza beer around. Feh! If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard this… Oh, but I’ll give it a chance, as I’m a real sucker for unique beer it seems.

Hm. Not to brag, but, it’s a Pizza Parade, babies! Hands down, no question, it is pizza-y. That was the aim of Mister and Missus Seefurth and they achieved it. The nose is slathered in spicy, chunky, robust tomato sauce primarily, with just a slight bready background note. This, of course, carries over into the taste. Along the way, other flavors begin to develop — some sweetish dough here, some chiffonade basil there. Even a pinch of red pepper spiciness. Oh, and packed with fresh garlic. Ah, the power of garlic. As with any pie, it’s more of the same till the end, though the spices still had legs and carried on well past the finish. As you drink it down, the various flavors really start to come together as it slowly bakes in your gut, all of it settling vaguely under the definition of “pizza”, at least in terms of flavor and aroma. No complaints here. However, as with Short’s Bloody Beer, I just can’t see myself calling on this beer every day. Not bad at all, though. Easily the best pizza beer on the market.

Comments are closed

»  Substance:WordPress   »  Style:Ahren Ahimsa