FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

>look up

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: >look up Reply with quote

Has anyone implemented >look up so that it refers to an object and not the direction up?

Right now I get the response, "Which do you mean, above or the sky?" when I do that. Just curious if anyone's solved it for their own purposes.
Merk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I do in Distress, to trap for "Look Up". There are actually several elseif's in the real code, to trap for "Look Down" and "Look East" and so forth. I snipped that, to make it more applicable to what you're doing.

Basically, in the line "self = u_obj" you could redirect it to whatever you want. Hopefully this is what you're after.

Code:
!---------------------------------------------------------------
!Mainly adding this to give a new response to look "up"
!
replace NewOMessages (obj, num, a, b)
{
    local retval = false
    select obj
    case direction
    {
        select num
        case 1 {
            if (self = u_obj) {
                run sky.long_desc
                retval = true
            }
        }
    }
    return (retval)
}

If you add this code as-is to a .HUG file in your project, it will default to showing sky.long_desc whenever the player looks up. NewOMessages is a stub in the library files, intended to be replaced whenever you want to customize whichever messages the real OMessages services. Return (true) on conditions you handle, and (false) so that the default OMessage prints for everything else.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Merk. That worked perfectly!

I'm going to be right up against the deadline. I really wish it wasn't March 31st, what with that day being a Friday and all... would be nice to have the weekend to finish up our stuff.
Merk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're worrying about "Look Up" now, you've probably got the meat of the game finished. That's something. I've completely restarted on my "possible" LoTech Comp entry -- going to make it browser-based instead of Hugo (it will just make more sense for this particular game, I think).
Merk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else that just occurred to me -- if it's just a matter of disambiguation, you might could have added this to the sky object:

parse_rank 2

Not sure -- if it will work when the other object is a library object, but maybe.
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah, you're absolutely right, Merk. That probably would have worked for my purposes with this thing. Geez. But you know how you get when you come close to releasing one of these things. The brain gets all screwy, heh.

(I think I am going to make the deadline. But it's a really short game. If there's anyone interested in taking a look, just fire me off a note at beaver@zombieworld.com. My earlier games were way too buggy and I should really sit on this one if the bugs are too numerous close to the deadline. )
Merk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finishing in time -- and good luck!!
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Thanks, by the way. I don't want to violate any rules by saying I got about 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours of the game's production, but I did want to express my appreciation at your remark!)
Merk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
(Thanks, by the way. I don't want to violate any rules by saying I got about 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours of the game's production, but I did want to express my appreciation at your remark!)

I haven't played any of them yet, but I intend to before the deadline. And I know last-minute crunch-time all too well. :)
Merk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't written the review of Pantomime yet, but I've played it and one other now. Let me know if you want me to send transcripts.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum