FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Jolt Country Forum Index
Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Hugo Book new draft

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hugo Book new draft Reply with quote

I've put a new draft of the Hugo Book up at http://www.plover.net/~hugo/hugo_book.pdf. The index is still a work in progress, but it's getting close to done.
Hugella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I check the plover.net site at least once a week for updates to the manual ; usually this is a forlorn yet strangely optimistic activity.

I can't wait to get to school so I can abuse their resources to print this out. :)

Btw, Kent: are there still plans to print (ala DM4) a hardcopy of the manual? And what's this WIP of yours I hear tell is in the works? :)
Kent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Manual and publishing and stuff Reply with quote

For a time it looked like the Hugo Book might get published the same as the Inform DM4 did, but it's looking like that's probably not going to happen. I'm still not sure if/what I will do about physical publishing--the audience is currently relatively limited, obviously, but it may be able to set up an individual order scenario.

As for a WIP, yeah, well, hmm, the finishing of the manual is sort of tied to the finishing of the WIP, in a way, although I don't really want to say too much about it so if there was some way I could distrac--

HEY! HEY JONSEY! THAT GAME DONE YET?!
Hugella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh...you wouldn't be doing a 'Ruins' kinda teachin thang, would you?

*is very happy at the thought of a new Hugo game
Ice Cream Jonsey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugella wrote:
*is very happy at the thought of a new Hugo game

Soon, soon, soon, soon, soon. It won't be long now.

With any luck I will sit down for the entire NFL draft and have a TV next to a PC where I can code the last bit of mine. I will lay off all the foods that are bad for you so I don't quagmire-up my keyboard. ::cool::
Hugella

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean there's TWO Hugo WIPs nearing completion?

*swoon*
jdyer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugella wrote:

*swoon*

Actually, three. Mine (well, one of them) should be out on the 21th according to my schedule. Although this one is all arty and might require wearing a beret before starting.
Hugella

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Fires up a Gauloise and flicks ashes off of her all-black ensemble*
Cryptonomic

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugella wrote:

I cannot say mine is "nearing completion" since I have just started it. But I am definitely working on a game for Hugo. I have the geography laid out and I have the basic story skeleton. Now I am in the process of converting both into a Hugo program. (The problem is that this work in progress is being done while I learn Hugo, so it is a bit slow going in these initial stages.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hugella

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha...I know exactly what you mean. :)
Cryptonomic

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugella wrote:
Ha...I know exactly what you mean. :)

Of course, you know, eventually I will have to stop using that as my excuse. :wink:

That said, and going along with the theme of this thread, as I learn the language I am writing "tutorial notes" to myself. I am including all the "wrong paths" that I initially took as warning posts to new users. So my hope is also to get those notes out there to the wider public.

So maybe that kind of stuff, combined with the new Hugo Manual may help others to see how to utilize Hugo. In fact, I initially started on Inform and since the DM4 has come up in this thread, one thing that I have found is that in many cases, I can translate the general concepts of Inform to Hugo, with a bit of re-rendering of the code. That, too, I think will be helpful to new IF authors like me who are using Hugo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Jolt Country Forum Index -> Hugo's House of Horrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum