Sherdoggís NFL week 5
My picks took a beating but not the power rankings. My top nine 10 all stayed the course except for No. 7 Jax losing to No. 4 Indy. Whatís the deal with K.C, Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Oakland? Luckily Jacksonville and the Jets will probably prevent most of the teams from winning a wild card. But someone needs to step up and win the horrible AFC North. Iím sticking with Baltimore.
1. (1) New England Tom Brady is amazing. Every ball he throws is dead nuts
2. (2) Philadelphia Have fun on bye, they look like the best team in football.
3. (3) Seattle (BYE) Win -they can almost clinch division Lose- and they give the Rams a big edge
4. (4) Indianapolis Regained control of the division. How about that Stokley?
5. (5) Minnesota (BYE) Moss hurts himself during bye week
6.. (6) Denver Beating Tampa Bay harder than it looks. Will face a real test against Carolina
Atlanta is for real and they should be favored as long as Vick is
8. (7) Jacksonville Almost pulled it out 4 weeks in a row. Need to start playing the first 3 quarters
9. (9) NY Jets Curtis Martin will get mention here every week for his great performances at 50
10. (14)Dallas (BYE) I hope teams start killing them. Just a horrid team to watch
I have no idea why they lost to K.C. They move up due to Tenn and
12. (10) Tennessee With their schedule losing to San Diego will cost them big.
13. (11 Green Bay Doug Pederson looked terrible in relief and should be cut in favor of about 30 QBís
14. (13) Carolina Got their heads kicked in by Atlanta. Huge game against Denver this week.
15. (15) Detroit (BYE) Siragusa called Harrington and Strawberries and Chocolate QB. Funny
16. (16) St. Louis New rule: Beating the 49ers no longer moves you up in the rankings. (unless by 50)
17. (17) Kansas City I canít believe they won Monday Night AND contained Jamal Lewis.
18 (22) Pittsburgh Iíll reserve moving them up until after the Browns game.
19 (21) NY Giants The Giants are a soft 3-1, I am still not impressed
(16) New Orleans Iím putting the Saints here cause they absolutely
mailed it in against Cards
21. (24) Arizona I will keep saying this team is not bad. But McCown may not be answer
22. (22) Cleveland Beat a bad Washington team but a wins a win.
23. (20 Oakland Hopefully the Collins performance was just first game jitters
24. (22) Cincinnati Another disappointing loss and itís not Palmerís fault
25. (23) Washington Hopefully Gibbs sticks around for a year so they can have some consistency
26. (27) San Diego Either Steve McNair is that good or the Chargers arenít hopeless.
27. (28) Houston Much to my chagrin they won two in a row. Big deal.
28. (26) Chicago Thomas Jones shutdown and the things are looking real bleak
29. (28) Buffalo* Squandered a bid opportunity. Donít even have the draft pick to look forward too
30. (29) Miami Even old man Martin ran all over them. This team is a disaster
31. (31) Tampa Bay Simms named starter and he still has squat to throw to (Though Clayton looks good)
32. (32) San Francisco No way they should be favored over Cardinals.
Magenta- Who Knows?
GAMES OF THE WEEK!
All against Spread
Big Games-0-5 OUCH (8-7)
Year to date 33-27
Games of the Week
NFC Championship game loser pick
St. Louis Rams+6.5 at Seattle Seahawks
The changing of the guard in the NFC West is under way. The Seahawks can take command of the division and cast the Rams down with the sodomites (Shawshank 10th Anniversary joke). Actually itís worse than the sodomites itís Arizona and putrid San Francisco. A win by the Rams and they really change the dynamics with Seattle heading to New England, a game nobody but will predict Seattle winning but me. The Rams are getting older and the Seahawks are just coming in to their own. Holmgren vs.Martz? Case closed. I hope this is a shoot out.
SEAHAWKS 37 Rams 24
Who the hell is playing running back pick
Carolina Panthers+5.5 vs. Denver Broncos
Mike Shanahan, noted fantasy killer is back in mid collapse form. He will be vague as possible about the status of Quentin Griffin. Is this cause he is trying to protect his team or player? No it is because he is trying to hide the inadequacies in his coaching. Meanwhile Stephen Davis wants back a couple weeks earlier. I donít see the point in him starting when DeShaun Foster is the same as him and a lot younger. But alas Davis has a big contract. So who will be running the ball for Denver? Who cares Bell, Griffin and an old Hearst combined couldnít sniff either Foster or Davisís jock.
PANTHERS 19 Broncos 17 (Kasay GW with 10 left)
Running out of good games already but refuse to write about Cowboys-Giants pick
Oakland Raiders+9.5 at Indianapolis Colts
The Colts better realize not to let softballs like this slip by. It appears the Colts are the Red Sox and the Patriots are their Yankees. Got that? So while normally the Colts would try and half ass it against an up and down Raider team, I have a feeling they will put the hammer down. Dwight Freeney should have a field day on the Herman Munster like Collins. Oh, Norv is jerking around with his running backs too. Fargas hasnít been healthy for more than 24 hours in his pro career, meanwhile Amos Zeroue rushes for 118 and has to split carries. Someone give me a coaching job.
COLTS 38 Raiders 20
Michael Vick and 52 average players pick of the week
Detroit Lions+7.5 at Atlanta Falcons
Two train wrecks from last year pass as acceptable Power Ranking fodder in 2004. The following means nothing- both these teams are off to good starts but imagine if they switched QBís? The Falcons would be zero and 4 and Lions would still be 2-1. That shows 1-how important Vick is and 2- Joey Harrington still sucks. The Falcons suddenly potent D seems the type to give the slow-witted Harrington fits. This game will tell me tons about the Lions.
Falcons 31 Lions 23
Tennessee Titans+2.5 at Green Bay Packers
What had network execs salivating in the chops has turned into two banged up QBís on two sinking ships. The Titans inexplicably got clobbered by powerhouse San Diego while the Packers refusal to address having a back-up QB cost them a game and made the Giants season. Letís talk about these teams back-up QBís.
All you need to know about Billy Volek is that he had a chance to become a starter for someone else in the off-season. He turned that that down. Was it because he didnít want to uproot his family? No, I assume itís because he knows he sucks and has no business starting.
Doug Pederson has proven he sucks but he doesnít gripe about being a career back-up. Thatís fine and dandy until you see him running the offense like the plays are in Japanese. If these two are such great guys have them sell raffle tickets at halftime and keep them the hell of the field. What these teams are telling me is- There are 300 college football programs that graduate QBís each year. There is a CFL and an Arena football league. The Packers and Titans deem these two clowns are the best option. If I were the Packers and Favre went down Iíd put Tony Fisher at QB and run the option.
Packers 21 Titans 17
The rest of the week.
Tampa Bay+3.5 at New Orleans NEW ORLEANS