Michael Sherwin's Power Rankings
by Michael Sherwin
1. (1) New England Won a trap game against a feisty Arizona team
2. (3) Philadelphia Forget TO how about that D
3. (5) Seattle Alexander and offense looked like puke, but matched last road win total
4. (6) Indianapolis Great win against Titans puts them back on track
5. (9) Minnesota Not a big deal losing on MNF, can put the Bears in their place this week
6.. (2) Denver Perhaps rated too high last week, skill positions lacking
7. (10) Atlanta Apparently Vick will run and so will Dunn
8. (4) Green Bay Lovie Smith has figured out the Pack, other teams take notice
9. (8) Tennessee Chris Brown looking good, another tough against Jags
10. (12) NY Jets The Jets are 2-0 as Pennington-Martin continue to roll
11. (14) Jacksonville Have faced two great Ds and pulled the win out of their ass
12. (11) Carolina Happy-Foster had a huge day Sad- So does everyone against Chiefs
13. (7) Kansas City OK, season starts NOW
14. (13) St. Louis Is the greatest show on turf getting lame? Martz would be fun to fire
15. (23) Detroit Every time Harrington throws a TD he acts like he won the lottery
16. (17) Cincinnati A huge win, a loss to the Fins wouldve had fans chanting KITNA!
17 (18) Dallas 8-8 written all over them
18. (20) Baltimore Offense still all Lewis, but that has been enough to get them 10 wins
19. (15) Cleveland Lost ugliest game of the week against Dallas. Garcia 0.0 rating
20.. (16)Washington At least Portis can take solace in Champ Bailey stinking it up too
21. (22) Oakland Rices overrated catch streak over, Currys just begun
22. (21) Pittsburgh Week 1 vs. Week 2. get used to week 2
23. (26) New Orleans Refs finally did them a favor. Found a win to win without Deuce
24. (30) Chicago Congrats, first makes no sense win of the year
25. (28) NY Giants I cant figure this league out, they are supposed to stink
26. (27) Arizona Arizona will be a pain in the ass all year
27. (24) San Diego Flutie over Rivers, that sounds like a team trying to win this now. Un NO
28. (19) Buffalo It is not fair what the offense is doing to the defense
29. (29) Miami Give Akili Smith or Ryan Leaf a call. The ceiling is higher
30. (25) Tampa Bay Chris Simms? Time to try something different
31. (31) San Francisco Spirited effort but not enough to get them out of the basement
32. (32) Houston Lost to last years bye weeks- San Diego and Detroit
Blue- dropping like a fat guy on Jupiter
Magenta- Makes no sense
GAMES OF THE WEEK!
All against Spread
Big Games- 4-1
Year to date 20-12 60%
This week features some horrid spreads. It is week three when Vegas says screw it starts making up lines I swear to god. Thats the problem. You look at the 6 games with lines over 7 points and you can see without a doubt the underdog winning straight up. And the Patriots are on bye. Oh well here goes.
Get one under the belt pick of the week.
Jacksonville Jaguars 6.5 at Tennessee Titans
Based on 2 games here are my certainties. Fred Taylor has faced a bitch of a schedule and it gets no better this week, but he will. Tennessee can and will start 1-2. Why? Things change in this league and everyone expects bad teams to get a little better and good teams to get a little worse. Doesnt happen that way. The gradual progression went out with the salary cap. After two weeks of offensive struggle the Jags will manage to do something competent on offense and after 4 years of high level play the Titans are due to drop a few games. Another low scoring affair for the Jags and they will pull it out and DEFINITELY COVER!
JAGUARS 17 Titans 14
Surprisingly best game of the week
Philadelphia Eagles at Detroit Lions
If youd told me this would be a battle between 2-0 teams I wouldve asked you to shoot me in the face. But the Lions looked impressive in beating the Texans and Bears. Texans and Bears. This week they face an actual team. Roy Williams is becoming a star and maybe Joey Harrington wasnt so bad after all. The Eagles look like the NFC front-runner right now. Logic dictates they dont cover the spread. Logic also dictated they would be facing an 0-2 Lions team. Well, two 2-0 teams, this may impact home field for he playoffs?!?!?! Eagles show up.
EAGLES 27 Lions 17
Back to reality pick
Chicago Bears at Minnesota Vikings
After being beaten, though not embarrassed on MNF the Vikings will be out for blood. Chicago got one of their 3 non-sensible win games out of the way. I dont have any stats to back this up but they typically lay an egg after such a win. Thats way they have been horrible for 10 years. Mike Browns injury really stings as he has made game winning plays for the Bears in his career at least four times in games they had no business winning.
VIKINGS 38 Bears 10
Ill ride them until they don't cover pick
San Francisco 49ers vs. Seattle Seahawks
Line: Seattle 10.5
I picked Seattle to cover last week and they barely did. It looked like they picked up the Bills playbook on accident. Well they havent played at home yet and should be fired up that they are 2-0 and conquered their road woes from last year. The Seahawks went undefeated at home last year. San Francisco has to be spent after playing as good as they can expect and starting 0-2. Its good that they started out winless cause itll means theyll win 3 out of their next 13 games instead of 1 or 2. All Im saying is when you are destined for 3-13 its better to win them at the end. It creates hope. This is the game Seattles O breaks out.
SEAHAWKS 34 49ers 7
MONDAY NIGHT HORROR
Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins
Line: Redskins 2.5
How about a series of questions instead of a preview?
1.Why is Washington on MNF?
2.Why is Redskins-Cowboys on MNF every year?
3. Why does every other team need to make the playoffs or come close to get one game of MNF and the Redskins and Cowboys dont?
4. What did football not learn from Major League Baseball?
5. Guess what topic ESPN and ABC are going to beat to death?
1. Because they are playing the Cowboys and every viewer supposedly cant get enough of this bad rivalry
2. 20 years ago these teams had a rivalry.
3. See answer 2
4. In football rivalries change and there isnt a team that is good every year. So while you can throw Yankees and Red Sox on and most people will watch cause they are bored because their favorite team was eliminated in May, this NFL game still blows.
5. Parcells vs. Gibbs. For two reasons. There isnt one decent player to talk about among the 106 suiting up and because TV thinks people give a shit about what retread is coaching their team. Watch a Holmgren game against on of his protégés to see this in full force.
COWBOYS 18 Redskins 10
Ravens over Bengals+3.5
Fantasy player of the week predictions
QB Daunte Cullpeper
RB Warrick Dunn
WR Torry Holt
TE Alge Crumpler
D Mike Peterson
Who Knew Larry Fitzgerald
Chud Chris Brown
Last weeks fantasy stars
QB Aaron Brooks- Every week Aaron, CMON
RB DeShaun Foster- Fill in RB vs. Chiefs.
WR Tory Holt- Great week plus bad week for wideouts
TE Daniel Graham- Two TDs enough for me
D Zach Thomas- Top fantasy player again after two year lull.
Who knew- Reggie Wayne- Will benefit when teams actually guard Harrison
CHUD Fred Taylor- Quentin Griffin- A whole lot of nothing for both
Thank you for reading this!
About the author: Michael Sherwin enjoys football and America
and American football.